PDA

View Full Version : Questions on leaders

craig
11-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Fished the Trinity for 3 days this last week . Thank you all for your help. My casting has muchly improved but the turn over of the leader leaves much to be desired. I used a tapered leader or straight piece of mono not much help in the turn over . Hmmm Let describe my problem. For example making a snap T cast the line would lay out in the direction I wanted but the leader would make a left turn :mad:, I thought I am going side arm adjusted the cast , no help. I was casting a scandi line and a skagit line with sinking tip and the leader did the same thing everytime very frustrating . Any help would be greatly appreciated. The fishing was great weather cool and wet not very many people on the river until sat . Just to add. The rut is full swing up there watched a HUGE Blacktail buck chase a doe with a spike buck helping in the chase for about 20 minutes they never even noticed me watching very pretty up there right now

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-25-2012, 08:33 AM
On sink-tips the leaders are usually only 4 feet so that is not too important if it does not turn over well.

On a floating lines with long tapered mono leaders lots of folks have gone to the Airflo Rage head instead of the Scandi because it has a powerful tune over which should help everyones leader straighten out more.

I think you need someone to look at you casting on moving water?

Doug Duncan, Jeff Putnam, Bill Lowe and Andy Gubord all teach Spey casting in Sacramento on the Lower American River.

http://www.kiene.com/instruction/

shawn kempkes
11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Your problem is with your casting. Without Seeing your casting i can only speculate what you are doing wrong. The most common thing is Slow down and keep your eyes on your d-loop. Most beginners use too much top hand on their casts which doesn't allow the D loop to form. The other most common mistake is in anchor placement.

Here is a good video that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-UD5n4sVY

craig
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
thanks Shawn

troutless
11-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Fished the Trinity for 3 days this last week . Thank you all for your help. My casting has muchly improved but the turn over of the leader leaves much to be desired. I used a tapered leader or straight piece of mono not much help in the turn over . Hmmm Let describe my problem. For example making a snap T cast the line would lay out in the direction I wanted but the leader would make a left turn

What do you mean, left turn? Do you mean, in the anchor set, you get a little "L", or in the forward cast you see the leader doing curvy things not following a straight path as it tries to turn over? Is this with all your casts, or just the snap-T?

Like Shawn said, somebody is going to have to see this to really figure out what is going wrong.

You do want someone to look at it as soon as you can manage, whatever you are doing, if you build it into your muscle memory, it will be harder to fix later.

Here is another speculation. In my experience, behavior like this comes from some sort of violation of the 180-degree rules, somewhere along the line you moved your rod tip off a straight path drawn between your D-loop and target. You could be hooking your forward cast, slicing your forward cast, or both. Where does your lower hand end up at the end of the forward cast? At the end of the back cast?

Slowing down and watching your tip/ & loop, if it doesn't outright fix the problem, will also help you narrow down what part of the cast is going askew. Or at least the first point things go wrong, problems in the anchor or d-loop can initiate seemingly unrelated problems later in an unconscious attempt to compensate for timing, direction, or loading issues. Go ahead, ask me how I know this....

Darian
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
If you decide that personal instruction is what you want, there're a bunch of fly shops in SoCal; not sure about Dana Point, tho.

There's been a recent thread on a local (for you) Bulletin Board that listed a lot of the fly shops down there. Check it out:

http://www.fliflicker.com

Hope this helps.... :cool:

Rick J
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
if you arre talking about the leader kicking left during the forward stroke of the circle (snap T) and not during the set, the reason for the line/leader not going straight is almost always due to your rod tip not going in a straight line path- on your strong side cast there can be a tendency to roll your shoulder a bit as you come forward so in fact your top hand does not go straight but rotates left - this can be made worse when you pull with your bottom hand at an angle - not sure this is what is happening with you but that will for sure cause the rod tip to kick left- you need to really concentrate on your forward stroke going staight forward and your top and bottom hand moving in the same forward plane

craig
11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Thsi is may cast Line down stream . Lift rod do the snap T . Pause . lift and deliver cast to ward opposite bank As the line lays out the tippet will turn up stream away from fly line sending the fly up stream . I fthis does not make sense I will try and tape the cast
think Rick has it i will focus more on the straight line and see what happens