PDA

View Full Version : Catching a fresh run wild Steelhead on the swing is very special.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-24-2012, 05:48 PM
I talking with my friend Mike McCune, professional full time verteran fly fishing guide, he says that the fish they are getting on the swing are on average a "better" quality Steelhead. Not all wild but more active and willing to chase down a fly and eat it.

Swinging flies for larger Steelhead is not for most. I think for some it is too much time and too much work for the rewards.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

I guess it is that funny discription of a fly fisher's wants:

First you want to catch any fish on a fly.

Next you want more fish on a fly.

Then you want bigger fish on a fly.

Finally, after a long time fly fishing you just want to go fishing, in a beautiful wild place, with friends, in hopes of catching anything....

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

When I go for Steelhead now, it is with a light Spey rod and it is for 3-4 days in the fall.

If I hook one nice spunky fish I am recharged again and happy till the next trip.

Jed Peters
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Where does "....you want to catch them on the swing on a dry fly on top...." come in?

:)

winxp_man
11-25-2012, 01:40 AM
In the very very small fine print that most cant read :)

Norman B
11-25-2012, 12:23 PM
After a few years fishing with switch and spey rods, swinging classical Klamath/Trinity flies, I started using a special waking/dry fly from the Trinity Fly Shop, made by Pat Burton, originally shown to me by Kitt (Trinity Fly shop great guide).
I began by using it in the smooth flat above a riffle anywhere on the Klamath, early and late in the day, and boy, was it a rush seeing a big steelhead grab it on the surface.
Yesterday, I caught a beautiful steelhead on the Trinity on the same waking fly, but this take was different. He went for the waked fly once, and missed it and jumped out of the water and pinned the fly coming down on a second try!
So whenever I can, I use a waking dry fly, just for the visual and grab, all other techniques are secondary.