PDA

View Full Version : Removing Carbide Studs

JAWallace
11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Picked up a set of Simms studs for my boots, but I realized I need a pair of non studded boots for boats. Both my other formerly retired pairs have studs. I need to remove them from one pair and am not having any luck with pliers. Suggestions?

Mike O
11-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Are they hex? If so, how about a hex driver/box end wrench/ratchet and a little silicone spray or WD40 (if it won't harm the "felt"

JAWallace
11-23-2012, 08:16 AM
These are tiny studs, and if they are hex it's so small no normal wrench would remotely fit.

After posting, it occurred to me that on the rare occasion I'd need studless boots, I could just remove the Simms studs from my new boots, then replace them as needed. Would this work, or is a hole only good for one time?

Cmcculloch
11-23-2012, 11:35 AM
This is one of the reasons I appreciate my Korkers with the interchangeable soles - studded, rubber, and felt.

Darian
11-23-2012, 02:26 PM
How about asking Simm's this question???? They can tell you whether removal of the studs is possible at all or may have a special tool you could purchase/use. :cool:

Jet
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
t
Those are like car tire studs and do not think you can remove without damage. I wish the new one's came with those studs as the clusters they sell for $40 are junk and negligent.

jet

FISHEYE
11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
I have tried removing Simms studs in the past and I was never very successful- even on the ones that were coming out on their own. As far as removing screw in studs and trying to put them back in, they don't stay in very well again since I think you mess up the hole when tightening. I too have gone with Korkers.

rouleur35
11-27-2012, 05:29 PM
you can also lay a mat in the boat, the front mats out of a car work great

JAWallace
11-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Simms turned my question about removing and replacing the cleats in about three hours. No go. I am only concerned about someone else's boat--might be a guide boat, but I have to think most people who wade our rivers have cleats so they probably provide for that. My boat is 100% rubber mat lined anyway. I think I'll just sell a pair of my older boots with the carbides. Thanks for the feedback. John

I would not recommend removing the cleats from felt soles. The insertion points would strip too quickly and in turn, the cleats would not stay in once re-installed. If it is your drift boat, I know a few guys who have purchased a mat to put in the bottom so that they can continue to wear their studs...? Just a thought.

For future reference (if you ever use our Vibram soled boots) the cleats can be removed and re-installed in the rubber soles approximately 10 times. Anything after that would strip the rubber as well.

Larry S
11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Orvis, and Cabelas, now offer a "slip-on" sandal that should please those folks that abhor studded boots in their
boats.
Best,
Larry S

flyfshrmn
11-28-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't think you can remove the studs from factory studded boots. I have two pair of the Borger studded felt boots and even when the studs are bent and loose they won't come free with a pair of pliers. I have added and removed the screw in studs once on Simms vibram soled boots without problems. I don't think much of the Korkers studded vibram soles. The studs are too small and don't have enough exposure and don't grip on slick rocks. I'm exploring the option of using aluminum screws as well. They are much more grippy than carbide and can be replaced easily. For boat use, I have unstudded Simms and Patagonia boots as well as old pairs of plain felt soled Hodgman boots. I also keep an inexpensive pair of sandals in the boat for those who forget and bring their studded boots. Studs are a no-no in wood and plastic boats as well as on redwood or synthetic decks unless you care to have your deck surfaces unevenly stippled.