PDA

View Full Version : GPS help

Garrett S Realtor
11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Did not really know where to ask this question so it landed here. I will be traveling to the Keys and renting a boat to do some fishing. Looking at the area I figured I will need some kind of GPS to find my way around and not get lost. Does anyone out there know what kind of GPS I would need to accomplish this? Also is there a way to get ocean depth details on the GPS to find some flats and also avoid running into them?

Larry S
11-18-2012, 03:07 PM
If you have a smartphone, you might want to consider an app called Navionics. I don't use it, but, I've heard
great things about it. Think it costs around $12.00.
Best,
Larry S

Ralph
11-18-2012, 06:11 PM
You'll need an external power source for a smart phone, especially if it's running a GPS. Navionics IS a good app.

Go to Garmin.com. It's pretty self explanatory and you'll quickly key in on the unit that will best suit your needs. GPS4RENT.COM will rent you a unit which might be a smart option if this is a one time deal.

The best buys on GPS and software is at GPSCITY.COM. After perusing their website, give them a call - VERY knowledgable and helpful. They'll often knock a few bucks off the advertised price if you ask.

Most navigational charts will run on a Garmin. Once you learn how to use a GPS they are pretty simple, but learn at home rather than on your trip. Also, a GPS does NOT take the place of good paper charts, in fact, the best use of a GPS is in concert with a chart set.

Darian
11-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Agree with larry about Navionics for the I-phone/Smartphone. That covers surface navigation. I'm assuming from your question that you have a fishfinder on board that doesn't have dual function (GPS/Sonar). If that's correct, you could obtain a Navionics chip for the area you intend to fish that will map the bottom.

If you don't have a sonar (fishfinder), there's always paper navigational charts. I know, I know.... That's old technology but it still will show hazards, etc and get you back home safely.... :cool:

roywest
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
If you have a smartphone, I've been experimenting with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L2QAXK/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01

You need to fiddle on an Android phone to get them to work (search for bluetooth gps on Google Play for clues).

They give you much better GPS resolution for your phone than the built-in assisted-GPS on a chip, which relies on mobile cells, Wi-Fi, and other clues to help the relatively limited abilities of the phone's GPS -- none of which is much help when you don't have a data signal.

I'd love to compare notes with anyone else who is using these.

__Roy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I believe Smart Phones depend on getting a cell phone signal to figure out where you are with a GPS app.

I believe that a real GPS unit will use 3 satellites to determine where you are.

Both need to be plugged into power to run for any length of time.

roywest
11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I believe Smart Phones depend on getting a cell phone signal to figure out where you are with a GPS app.

I believe that a real GPS unit will use 3 satellites to determine where you are.

Both need to be plugged into power to run for any length of time.

Smartphones (even, sadly, the short-lived Garmin phone) use "assisted GPS" or "AGPS," which means they don't need a cell connection or other urban clues, but work much better when they do have them to assist the GPS-on-a-chip they rely on.

See my previous post about little GPS "pucks" you can buy for < $100 that use better GPS tech to send more accurate and quicker location data to a smartphone or tablet via a Bluetooth connection (so you can put them in a sealed baggie in your hat or wherever in the rain). They can be fiddly to set up, but are remarkable when you do. I used the Dual and Garmin on the upper Rogue a month ago with an Android smartphone and tablet that had no data or cell connections at all and was pretty pleased with the results.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2012, 11:16 PM
"Smartphones (even, sadly, the short-lived Garmin phone) use "assisted GPS" or "AGPS," which means they don't need a cell connection or other urban clues, but work much better when they do have them to assist the GPS-on-a-chip they rely on."

Thanks Roy for the clarity here.....that's nice to know.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Is the GM "OnStar" communication system cell signal or satellite connection?

Gary R
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
The Navionics chip for the Keys is the ultimate but costs about $200. We use it in Key West on a Lowrance gps/sonar unit and find it really helps. If the boat you are renting has a good sonar that works well in shallow water you should be OK with the Navionics app discussed previously. Be sure to ask what unit the boat has as almost everyone down there use the Navionics chip. It might already be installed. The plasticized charts you will find down there help because you can make notes on them and relate them to the gps. Good luck on your trip.
Gary

Garrett S Realtor
11-19-2012, 03:04 PM
As far as I know the boat I will be renting does not have any sonar or fish finders, Thank you all for your replies.

Scott V
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Get a Garmin 62 handheld and you will always have a GPS with you.

Ralph
11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Get a Garmin 62 handheld and you will always have a GPS with you.

Scott- You should have said you'll always have a REAL GPS with you! I would NOT want to depend on a cell phone to navigate through the mangroves between the keys and Flamingo. The tiny gps engine and antennae in a smartphone are nothing compared with a dedicated unit. Get under some canopy and have no fear, the Garmin will steer you to the proper cut or bay and then back home. The smartphone will look stupid. Three AA batteries will last a couple of days (vs a few hours on a phone) and when they die, just feed it more.

Mike McKenzie
11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Is the GM "OnStar" communication system cell signal or satellite connection?

Bill,
It's a little bit of both.. You can contact the OnStar people via satellite for emergencies, etc. However when you use it as a phone you have to communicate through a cell tower although it is more powerful than a regular cell phone.
I've used it all over the western US and the only time I ever had any trouble is has been in deep canyons or
tall trees. One caveat is that if there is no cell service within range of the phone you are calling to, it won't work.

Mike