PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead fishing

craig
11-12-2012, 08:04 AM
;)I have a hall pass from the wife to pass on Thanksgiving none of the kids are coming and she has to work HMMMMM :confused:I would like to go fishing but it is a drive . I live way south. Which river would you recommend I get on I have 5 days 3 which will be for fishing other 2 are for driving. A little help. I will be stopping at the shop to get a new line for my 6 wt spey Thanx For any suggestions Craig

shawn kempkes
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
From where you are I would say the trinity or upper Klamath is going to be your best bet. The other thing is you should consider trying to find a guide for one of those days.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
From where you are I would say the trinity or upper Klamath is going to be your best bet. The other thing is you should consider trying to find a guide for one of those days.

This is the same answer I would give too.

Darian
11-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Wheeeeew!!! Driving to either the Trinity or upper Klamath rivers from Dana Point seems more like a marathon trip to me, even on I-5. I can't say I'd recommend another river for Steelhead but if you're tired of driving, you might consider Steelhead/Trout fishing in the lower/upper Sacramento River. The Sacramento paralels I-5 from Red Bluff northward. Just a thought.... ;)

Jed Peters
11-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Can you fly?

Cheap flights into medford (they are easy) and you can stay right in shady cove, 15 minutes away and fish the Rogue.

Great access on upper river (right off road), steelhead are STACKED in there, and shouldn't be very busy at all compared to the Trinity.

Save the money on gas and get a flight and rental car, seriously. Stay in Shady Cove http://www.edgewaterinns.com/

or at the Rogue River Lodge

http://www.therogueriverlodge.com/cabin.php

I can't think of an easier DIY, and you will likely spend less money and time than if you drove there.

There are a LOT of fish in the upper rogue at that time. A LOT.

You can always get good guide recommendations here for the rogue as well to do the upper float, and then you'll identify techniques/bugs/access points.

Charlie S
11-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I agree with Jed.

Troutzilla
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I agree with Jed.

I live in the SF bay area, not to far from I-5

I recently drove up to the Klamath and had a great trip. But it actually took me longer to get to the Klamath than it would have taken me to get to the Rogue. I kept thinking about that on the long drive home.

Another thing to consider is if you are on the Klamath you are truly out of touch, the Wife and kids won't even be able to call or text you. If you head to the Rogue, you will still be somewhat near civilization (at least when you get off the water).

Good luck, Craig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Great information guys....thanks.

craig
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Thank You Gentlemen I appreciate all the advice I am checking the flights to Oregon as we speak I will let you know

craig
11-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Just checked flights to medford 700.00 round trip. Should have asked this question sooner Dammm

craig
11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
OK so were can you fish on the Sac, with access the fish for steel head might look for a guide , recommends , Hmmm maybe the Yuba River I fished there once caught some nice trout

Yard Sale
11-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Might want to check out flights to Portland. Usually fairly cheap from LA since its a commuter flight. Des chutes is about 2 hours away. No crowds and some solid fish around these days.

Big trip but a good chance at a nice fish or 5.

craig
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
i checked the trips to everywhere up there way to much money , But now I know its close to airports I get the to these rivers without driving long ways

DAVID95670
11-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Can you fly?

Cheap flights into medford (they are easy) and you can stay right in shady cove, 15 minutes away and fish the Rogue.

Great access on upper river (right off road), steelhead are STACKED in there, and shouldn't be very busy at all compared to the Trinity.

Save the money on gas and get a flight and rental car, seriously. Stay in Shady Cove http://www.edgewaterinns.com/

or at the Rogue River Lodge

http://www.therogueriverlodge.com/cabin.php

I can't think of an easier DIY, and you will likely spend less money and time than if you drove there.

There are a LOT of fish in the upper rogue at that time. A LOT.

You can always get good guide recommendations here for the rogue as well to do the upper float, and then you'll identify techniques/bugs/access points.

Jed has it right, with the cost of fuel the flight is not significantly more. Trinity is very crowded and the Upper Klamath is amazing, I fished it last year at turkey day, however the Rogue is closer to the airport......

DAVID95670
11-17-2012, 09:36 AM
as well track down Gordon L and pay this guy to take you out so he has cash to keep posting those amazing fish photos

roywest
11-17-2012, 10:04 AM
You could leave this afternoon on a round trip for $241 - not the pleasantest flight but still faster than driving from where you are, I tihnk.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SNA;t=MFR;d=2012-12-03;r=2012-12-07

Fly Right
11-17-2012, 05:51 PM
You could leave this afternoon on a round trip for $241 - not the pleasantest flight but still faster than driving from where you are, I tihnk.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SNA;t=MFR;d=2012-12-03;r=2012-12-07

I wade fished the Feather for a few hours yesterday and stuck two steelies on glo bugs. Fly to Sacramento and rent a car. Good spots on the Feather are slightly more than an hour away. You can also get to the Trinity or the Klamath in less than half day's drive from Sacramento. Well, the Trinity anyway.......The advice for the lower Sac is also well worth considering. The trout caught there behave like steelhead and there are steelies mixed in as well, especially from Anderson to Red Bluff. I would suggest drifting with a guide for the Sac because wading opportunities are limited, especially if you are targeting steelhead.

Good Luck

ladalske
11-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Fly right, what are the access points for the feather that are best for wading?

Fly Right
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Fly right, what are the access points for the feather that are best for wading?

Palm Ave, the riffle below the Oro Dam Blvd bridge are wadeable. Also there are some riffles in the Oroville Wildlife Area between stretches of frog water.

chixnribs
11-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Palm Ave, the riffle below the Oro Dam Blvd bridge are wadeable. Also there are some riffles in the Oroville Wildlife Area between stretches of frog water.

If you rent a car to drive to the Feather, I would suggest taking the "full coverage" option. Just sayin'.

Fly Right
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
If you rent a car to drive to the Feather, I would suggest taking the "full coverage" option. Just sayin'.
Good call....I agree
I will say however that I fished the Palm Ave area and was able to park close enough to where I was fishing that I was able to have the car in full view the whole time. 2WD would be sufficient to get to most of the areas where I was. Leaving the car unattended in other areas while fishing the Feather can be problematic.
If I had the time and financial resources and was traveling from So Cal I would head farther north to say the Rogue myself. I offered up the Feather for the opportunity to catch some steelies as a lesser travel time, lower budget option for our friend.
Either way I hope he gets on some good water and sticks a few fish for his Thanksgiving holiday

craig
11-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Thank You all for the info . I am leaving now to drive up. Most of the guides are booked and sounds like the rivers are high . Great adventure to be had looking forward to it . Maybe all the way to the Klamath I dont know the truck will tell me when to stop See you there Craig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
In the last month I have had some good reports from the Trinity and Klamath but I guess the water is high for a while.

joshfish
11-21-2012, 11:18 PM
The trinity had a decent spike and drop. Should have put some fish on the move.

craig
11-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Well I made the drive to the Trinity , I was nice drive , Fished for two and half days. First morning on th e5th cast had a huge pull no hook up. Thought maybe I am here a the right time. Not another grab that day . Fished until sunset . Second day went back to the run that I got the grab at caught a half pounder well maybe you would call it a quarter pounder nothing else that day fished until dark Drove back last night traffic was crazy . would do it again in a heart beat Thank you all for your help . Need to go back quick maybe new years holiday Hows the fishing then

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Another suggestion would be to hire Steelhead Spey guide Jason Hartwick to guide and teach you for one day up there soon.

http://steelheadonthespey.wordpress.com/

craig
11-25-2012, 08:52 AM
It was nice to meet you at the shop Fri. I think Jason called to talk to you when you were helping me out . I have fished with Jason the first time I went up to the Trinity . Caught a nice fish with him too. funny I asked every Fly shop if any guides were available it was pretty much booked . I will be going back up ,maybe I will give Jason a call