PDA

View Full Version : Trinity update

rippinstreamers
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
just got back from spending a couple of days on the river, lets just say its happenin. first day hooked 8 and landed 5, 4 or which were wild. My friend had similar results and mostly wild too. Second day was great in the morning and then slowing in the afternoon. Great to see these numbers of wild fish in the system though, and no smolt to speak of which others seemed to be worried about. Early morning fish were enjoying stones on the swing before the sun showed it self and then transitioned into smaller typical stuff midday. JC seemed pretty pounded by the guides, saw a lot of fish that wouldn't budge or were spooked by the sight of an indicator. There were still salmon kicking around, we caught two for whatever reason both on a 3D nymph.

Bwag
11-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the report. I was all set to head north to my dad's and hit the Rogue. He went out yesterday and hooked one but saw no other fish. May have to change plans.

shawn kempkes
11-11-2012, 08:55 AM
This time of year there shouldn't be many smolts in the main river. The parr are still up in the tribs. Smolts migrate in the spring and thats when you should see tons of them. This means the new flushing flows are working. Before the flushing flows they use to hang out in the flywater and below and were fodder for the big browns in there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Some years, ago with CHP buddy Bill Anderson, we were at the mouth of the South Fork in December and we ran into a big school of small Steelhead that were probably 9 to 13 inches and wild.

We were able to cross to the other side in the lower flow and just below the mouth of the South Fork on sinktip line with large black weighted rubber legs nymph I caught a beautiful wild 9 pound Steelhead.

rippinstreamers
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
there had been reports of fish and game releasing a bunch of them lately, creating a frenzy of kamakazi fly eaters. Went back this last weekend and fishing slower before the rains. caught a fish a day until the last day after the big pour over night. The following morning produced 5 fish, two of which were thirty inches. Waters were up a few inches and visibility decreased, but made the fish very grabby.