PDA

View Full Version : Mustad barbless hooks with kink instead of barb

John Sv
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi,
So my Dad gave me all of his fly tying supplies amassed since the '60s. I'm wondering about these funny Mustad attempts at barbless where they kinked the hook where the barb should be. Obviously they didn't catch on, but are they ineffective in hooking and should I not tie on 'em? Seems like they would make hook-setting difficult. Also, does everyone have one in a dusty box somewhere, or are they collectable?

Darian
11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I've had a box of those style barbless hooks for decades. Never tied on them. Have seen commercial flies tied on them but never used them either. As modern hook manufacturers produced newer barbless styles, that style became even less desirable. But, I'm sure they would hook fish well on a strike.

Wonder of they're even legal any longer??? :confused: Wardens use the floss test to determine if a barbless hook is really barbless. Not sure how this style would do.... :confused:

Charlie S
11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Used them. No problems with hooking but sometimes removal was a pain. They would not hang up in floss or cotton. I did find them to be brittle.

John Sv
11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks! Interesting on the removal part. Brittle too, but I've found that to be a small-mustad-hook-wide problem. They look kinda cool so I may tie on them anyway