PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek switch rod user feedback

stonefly58
11-04-2012, 07:11 AM
I am looking to add to the arsenal of rods and purchase the Deer Creek series 11' 7 wt switch rod. My question is this; To anyone that has purchased the Deer Creek series rod how do you like the performance and feel of the rod, not compared to other rods but as a stand alone rod, and which line are you using. Finally, if limited to one rod, would this be it?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2012, 09:09 AM
The TFO Deer Creek Swtich rods are all very nice, designed by Bob Meiser and Mike Kinney.

We have line recomendations posted on our online store for every two handed fly rod we sell.

http://flyshop.kiene.com/tfodeercreekswitch11074pc.aspx

JasonB
11-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Well you can take this with a couple grains of salt: first off, I'm still very new to switch/spey rods and casting. I very recently bought a deer creek 11' 6wt that I've been playing with (had it out maybe 5 days of fishing + a couple of 1 hour practice casting sessions). I've got it lined up with an 8wt floater (Rio atlantic salmon/steelhead taper), so probably not the best combination, nor am I the best at eeking out every ounce of performance of the rod yet ... and still I have to say that I have been more than impressed at how much water this rod has opened up to me, and how nicely it can cast. Both my distances, and more importantly, my accuracy have improved hugely over what they had been previously. As for a one single rod, I'd say this one is pretty incredibly versatile for what I want and where I'll likely get to fish, but that's pretty subjective and I don't think that there really is any such thing as the one rod that does everything. The only negative that I have while fishing this rod is that I have found that I have a very hard time highsticking with it, although that is comparing it to my shorter single handed rods so I'm not sure if that's really even relevant to you or not. Other than that I've been quite pleased; I'm having a blast just playing around with what I can do with my casts and line control now.

I know that you don't really care about comparisons, but to put my sentiments into perspective I also got to test out a Z-axis switch rod for a few. I came away with 2 observations after fishing that rod: 1) very sweet stick, loved the feel and 2) still quite happy (and impressed) with the deer creek that I purchased for a fraction of the cost.
Again, take the above with a huge grain of salt. I'm no expert at this, and these are purely uneducated and subject personal experiences with the rod... but I'd say go for it!

Rick J
11-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I bought this rod a coouple of years ago and have not had alot of opportunity to use it - I got it mainly for winter fishing and have not really used it much as most of my winter fishing has been on bigger water where I am using full speys but I really do like it - It has a pretty big grain window - I like it best for winter stuff with the 475 Rio short though it does ok with the 425. I also cut back a 625 short to 17 feet and 500 grains and it will launch anything I would ever want to throw from heavy tips to small chickens! I am stricty a swing guy so can't attest to that rod as a nymphing stick or what line systems to use

Larry S
11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
stonefly and Jason,
You might want to email or PM Lance Gray. I know he used(uses) the Deer Creek rods in his switch rod classes
and could probably give you some good info. Hope the following will not cause his hat size to increase, but, he's
a good guy and great guide, to boot.
Best,
Larry S

stonefly58
11-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks Guys for the great feedback! I made the decision and purchased the rod, looking forward to using it this weekend. This is the third TFO rod I have purchased, I am impressed with TFO's equipment and plan on using this stick a long time, I will try the high sticking or Liesenring lift and provide feedback.

Thanks again! :cool: