PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun C&R Striper Tourney

Hatch
10-29-2012, 08:49 PM
The 2nd Anual Just for Fun Catch and Release Stripers on the Fly Tournament (made up of Kiene's board member striper addicts:shock:) was a great success. We had 9 boats enter in on the fun battling for winner of Big Fish and Most Fish(legal sized). It was a beautiful windless morning with boats launching out of several different marinas. Korths-Sugar Barge-Orwood and Lads. We all fished from first light till 12 ish and then headed to the Michael David/Phillips Farm winery on highway 12 for our after party. We had a good showing with close to 50 family and friends joining in on the fun. Team "South Paws" Matt Albers and Andy Solari won the most fish award for the second year in a row and Team "No Nonsense" with Capt Jerry Neuburger and Mike Bruce won bis fish honors with a 33" 13 #er.
All in all a great day. Special thanks goes out to all the wives and families who put up with us as well as Costa Del Mar, Kiene's Fly Shop, Pirates Booty and Michael David winery.
See you all next year.
Thanks
Capt. Maury Hatch

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
If you have it next year I will try to go too.

Looks like a great event.....

malbers
10-31-2012, 07:15 AM
It was a great time with lots of fish and some of them big enough to get the South Paws a repeat of last year. See you again next time. Thanks for putting it together and coordinating the details with the winery. Good stuff Capt Hatch.

JerryInLodi
10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Maury, great day and thanks for lending me Mike Bruce. He's a good stick handler. I hope he decides to go with me next year to defend our title.

Mike's fly line wrapped around the reel seat on the big fish's initial run and he ended up at the front of the boat, laying on the bow, with rod and reel under the trolling motor, frantically trying to clear the line from his reel. The fish, in the mean time was towing the boat at fairly good speed towards a group of tulles and my boat and motor with two people and gear is about 3500 pounds!

Luckily he cleared the line before the fish made any large surge and after that it was fairly easy since the fish was tired from all that tow work.

Hatch
10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
That is awesome. Funny that Mr. Bruce never brought up that story of him almost farming that nice fish. I will have to remind him of that.
Thanks Jerry.
HATCH

We will definitely have a 3rd annual JfF-C&R- Striper on the Fly next year. The last Sunday in October. 10/27 2013