PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Monday Morning

Langenbeck
10-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Hooked 2 adults and landed 1 below on a bead head nymph. This was my first hatchery fish of the season. So far have hooked 42 adults and landed 21. Normally my hook to land ratio is closer to 60%.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/21Steelhead29Oct2012.jpg

JGB
10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Enough! Are you trying to get all us CA'ns to move up there?

Sheesh.
JGB

PS: 42,000+ casts?

Larry S
10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Gordon,
Notice you were using the SH rod today. Are the wild fish showing up earlier
this year? As always, thanks for the reports.
Best,
Larry S

Langenbeck
10-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Larry: Up till this time of year normally get 50% hatchery fish and 50% wild fish and then from Nov. on almost all wild fish. Have never seen such a high percentage of wild fish this early.

Mark Kranhold
10-29-2012, 12:10 PM
The broken Anderson made you resort back to the single hander? How does it feel casting the single hander again? Not sure if I would remember how to my self:D Nice fish .. Keep em coming!

Langenbeck
10-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Going back to a SH rod is a huge change. Almost like a toy compared to A DH rod. The quantum difference is the ability to mend. None the less still catching fish on a SH rod!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Gordon,

What is the best weeks to fish up there? .........on average.

Jake O
10-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Between your posts and taxes---i may have to consider a move.

Langenbeck
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Bill: Steelhead season gets in high gear about the 10th of Oct. with the arrival of the salmon and can stay good until the middle of Dec. in the Grants Pass area. My favorite time is mid-Nov with virtually very few anglers and almost all wild fish.

Winter fish arrive in decent number about mid Feb and continues through early Apr. both of these time tables obvoiusly are weather dependent.

Summer run typically 50/50 hatchery vs wild and the winter run is about 85% wild. In a typical year both the summer & winter run is about 10,000 fish but in the 90's saw both summer & winter runs over 22,000. No reliable figures now that Gold Ray Dam has been removed. From my limited data looks like a slightly better than average year.

jbird
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Keep in mind that rain has a big impact on the rogue. Although November was my favorite month, it was also very suseptible to being blown out by storms. And the opposite can be a problem too. When the water is low and clear and ice cold from that wonderful rogue valley freezing fog, the fishing can shut down completely. If you want almost guaranteed success on the rogue, go between 9/15 and 10/31. However, if you gamble and hit it in good conditions around the end of November, you could be in for a treat of B run, wild fish.

Gordon.... kinda off topic but I heard virtualy nothing on Diamond this year. How did it fish?

Langenbeck
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Jay: Diamond was so-so at best. Had experienced fly fishermen up there in late Sep and 5 fish was a good day. I think the 8 fish limit is taking it toll and now 1 Jan it is open to all year fishing. Properly managed(it will never happen) Diamond would be a world class fishery. The only restriction is live bait. As you know the power bait boys use treble hooks. I only fished there once in June and no more for me. Looks like Hyatt could be on the rebound.

JGB
10-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Good useful info.

JGB