PDA

View Full Version : Report from Nor Cal guide Hogan Brown

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Great time of year out on the rivers of Nor Cal. Weather is beautiful, rivers are full of salmon and steelhead and trout are eating.

I spent the weekend on the Feather fishing from Oroville down to Gridley area and fishing was great. There is a TON of spawning salmon throughout the river. Most fish in the Low Flow are up on redds and dropping eggs. Steelhead throughout the river are keyed in on the egg drop. In two days we did not catch one fish on a bug. All eggs. Some riffles are still very difficult to fish due to the numbers of salmon and fish in these riffles are dropping back to gorge on eggs. Areas with lower numbers of salmon the steelhead will get right up behind the redds in the nearest good holding water. Overall it was a great few days with good numbers of 18-22" fish with a few bigger ones landed and lost. Fishing on the Feather should remain good through October and well into November.

Lower Sac egg bit is going off and fishing has been great up there as well with huge numbers of fish being caught but also enormous crowds from what I have seen and heard.

Lower Yuba is still fishing well and should remain consistent through the winter. Many options to fish dry flies, swing flies, and of course nymph.

I still have a few days in November available for fishing on the Feather, L. Sac, or Lower Yuba. November and December are great times both on the L. Sac and L Yuba for baetis hatches and winter steelhead as well as butte creek opening up Nov. 15 for walk and wade fishing and raft trips. With strong salmon runs and some early rain this year steelhead fishing and trout fishing this winter should be good.

Open Dates:

Nov. 18, 20, 21,

Dec. 9, 15, 16, 30, 31,

Jan. 4-6, 12, 13, 19-21, 26, 27

Hogan Brown
www.hgbflyfishing.com
www.hgbflyfishing.blogspot.com
www.casthope.org
***Check out HGB Fly Fishing on Facebook***

__________________________________________________ _________________

Thanks Hogan for the great report...