PDA

View Full Version : North Fork American This Weekend

Troutsource
10-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm considering fishing the NF American Saturday afternoon below Lake Clementine. Does anyone know what the conditions are, especially after the rain? CDEC and USGS websites show a huge spike Thursday, but no data before then.

Thanks.

Tracy Chimenti
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Unless you're after smallmouth, drive a little farther up to the Mumford Bar Trailhead. It's a fair grade into the gorge there, but is perhaps the most mild and there will be willing trout in the outside pockets waiting for caddis and hoppers. Lot's of suckers as well, but don't let that that put you off. They've been there for thousands of years!

I once watched a dipper walk a pool bottom from an overhead ledge there. It would walk into the flow, head down, and plane it's way to the bottom. It would then walk a curious serpentine, suddenly bobbing to the the surface like a cork, then spinning down through the eddies like a twig.

Tracy Chimenti
10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
You must be after smallies.

Troutsource
10-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Tracy,

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up not going, due in part to the apparently high flows. Yes, I was planning to take the kids for some smallies with the outside chance of some trout. I'll keep Mumford Bar in mind for next time.

Thanks.

Paul