PDA

View Full Version : Bonefish guides on Oahu, HI?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
I know there are some Bonefish guides on Oahu so I am looking for recomendations from people who have fished with some of them.

Thanks.......

FISHEYE
10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
A buddy fishes a lot with Mike Hennessy.

mems
10-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Hey Bill, I have fished with most of them, what do you need to know? Phil just mentioned Mike Hennessy, he has his own boat. Greg Moss does some work with Mike and uses a Kayak. Louie the fish does some guiding, but his son Jaoquin does most of the guiding for them. Chet Young on this board has a nice beavertail (flats skiff) and does some guiding there. Ollie Owens guides as does Coach Duff. All are good guys and can put you on fish. Nervous Waters uses Ed as their guide, I have not fished with him. Let me know and maybe I can give you more details, Don.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks Don........that is great information.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Have you fished over on Molokai? Have you fished with Clay Ching over there?

Have you been down to Christmas Island?

steve2010
10-26-2012, 07:54 AM
I would highly recommend Ed from Nervous Waters fly shop.
Excellent fisherman. Nice guy.
Specializes in sight casting for bones rather than blind casting for them.
He's constantly on the water so he's in touch with the current conditions.

mems
10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Hey Bill yes I have fished on Molokai. Clay Ching is a nice guy and can take you to the flats on the south side. There are some very big fish on Molokai, and they like to eat flies, much better than on Oahu. Problem is the locals net the fish, so there aren't that many. Clay will take you out in a boat and walk the flats with you. The problem on Molokai is the tides, you need to fish a low tide in the morning, like before 10:00am, because the wind is hell over there, 30 knots in the afternoon. the flats are very deep, normally above your waist, so a low tide helps you to see tailing fish. There are lots of trevally there as well. I liked the fishing on Molokai, but the attitude towards tourists is pretty negative.
I am going to X-mass in April and am looking forward to it. I hear the bones are larger now, since they stopped netting. I think we will spend most of our time on Ulua, GT's. It is a great group of guys from Portland that I am going with, should be fun. Let me know if you need more details, Don.

FISHEYE
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Another friend from here has fished with Clay Ching and he had nothing but very positive things to say about him.