PDA

View Full Version : October Caddis flying around on the Upper Sac

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Get up there......

Call Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir for current info.

http://www.tedfay.com/guidenotes.html

Troutstalker55B
10-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the reminder Bill, I've included a link to an article I wrote on the Oct Caddis that will shed some light for those anglers new to the "Big Bug"; http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2009/10/fishing-october-caddis.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2012, 10:23 PM
We had a cabin in Dunsmuir for about 10 years and one fall they were very thick, flying up and down the river. Our 8 year old grandson was casting a large orange bodied dry fly across the river letting it swim across and down below him with mucho drag. He caught a nice 16 incher right in town near our cabin.

Troutstalker55B
10-23-2012, 05:55 AM
That's a great story Bill and a good reason folks should be out there right now fishing this great hatch. Thanks for sharing. BTW, my dad and I used to stay with a man who lived right on the river in town as well. Does Roy Hale ring a bell?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-23-2012, 08:18 AM
We almost bought that house....

Lots of interesting people have lived in Dunsmuir over the years.

Roy Hale, Larry Green (outdoor writer), naturally Ted Fay(famous local angler).......Tom Kimbal(Fly Fishing Rep)
Ted Townsdally (native American fly tyer), Joe Kimsey who we all knew well....

Jon, Maybe we need to start a history of the fly fishers in Dunsmuir so it is not lost?

When I retire soon I will start my own personal web site and we can put lots of history and photos about the old fly fishing people of California there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-23-2012, 08:51 AM
I just called our retired Cortland Line Rep, Joe Paterson, in Penryn, CA to get some more info on Dunsmuir because he and his brother Bob (who had a cabin up there) fished that area for decades in the old days.

One of their fly fishing partners was Sammy Talarico, who was a bartener at the old Flamingo Club in Dunsmuir.

He mentioned another really good old fly fisher, Arnold Arana, in Dunsmuir.

Joe is going to start writing down some more facts about the fishing way back in the old days for me.

I think it would be nice to get more of this recorded before all those old timers are up in fly fishing heaven.