PDA

View Full Version : Central Valley Sierras

lcpl.allan
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Well, after finally getting settled in Fresno I have had a few opportunities to venture out and check out what the central valley has to offer. I have taken the advice of a few of you from a previous post of mine and checked a few places out.
Today I decided I would venture deep into the hills and fly fish at 9,500 feet ASL. Let me just say the hike in was a complete a$$ kicker! Over 1,000 feet of elevation change in less than two miles. But, after an hour and 45 minutes of sucking wind and cursing my decision, I finally made it to a fishing spot. The view alone was well worth the pain.
There were fish everywhere! Unfortunately though they were some picky eaters. I threw almost everything I had at them, and presented it to the best of my abilities. They would come screaming up from the depths making a b-line for my fly, then, all of a sudden at the last second they would turn away unbelievably quick. I can gladly say that it wasn't a day of a goose egg though.

wineslob
10-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Well, after finally getting settled in Fresno I have had a few opportunities to venture out and check out what the central valley has to offer. I have taken the advice of a few of you from a previous post of mine and checked a few places out.
Today I decided I would venture deep into the hills and fly fish at 9,500 feet ASL. Let me just say the hike in was a complete a$$ kicker! Over 1,000 feet of elevation change in less than two miles. But, after an hour and 45 minutes of sucking wind and cursing my decision, I finally made it to a fishing spot. The view alone was well worth the pain.
There were fish everywhere! Unfortunately though they were some picky eaters. I threw almost everything I had at them, and presented it to the best of my abilities. They would come screaming up from the depths making a b-line for my fly, then, all of a sudden at the last second they would turn away unbelievably quick. I can gladly say that it wasn't a day of a goose egg though.

Sounds like they were leader shy. Hard to believe though.

Nice pics!

DFrink
10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
What is it about SN Pale Ale in a can that is so good? I swear it's better than the bottled version. Nice looking lake.

Dan

Jay Murakoshi
10-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a good hike. I go to Shaver Lake and I start sucking air. One time we went to the Sequoia's and fished for goldens (they fished, I filmed) and I was really sucking air. I was waiting for the oxygen mask to fall from the sun visor. then packing in all the camera gear, damn I was worn out at the end of the day
It was beautiful
Jay

lcpl.allan
10-24-2012, 08:45 AM
It's so good in a can because you can take it with you everywhere. And where you're finished with it you can crush it down nice and good and pack it away. Not like those pesky clanky glass bottles.

Jay, I was not too far from shaver lake, a short drive southeast of it to get to the dirt road. Then about a 30 minute drive north on an unmaintaned road to get to the trailhead. I was sucking wind as soon as there was any incline. I packed in enough gear to stay over night if the weather turned on me.
Sent you a pm with a couple questions Jay.

pvsprme
10-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Allen, check out the Fresno Fly Fishers or my club, Kaweah FF (Visalia area). We have some guys ready to fish almost every day of the year and a lot of local knowledge, as well as a great bunch. One well known member is over 90 and can tie a #20 midge faster than you can believe; he throws a pretty smooth cast as well. We have women, beginners, guys who fish 300+ days/year; Take as much or as little as you like. PM me for contact info if interested.