PDA

View Full Version : Update Report on Bill's 12' Olympian Skiff

JAWallace
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
This past February I bought Bill Kiene's old 12' trihull from the second owner. After nearly nine months of use in big lakes, small lakes, the American, and the Delta I can safely say it's my favorite boat out of the 17 I've owned, including a Whaler Montauk 170 which was just too big for most waters I fish. The main reasons I love this boat so much are the versatility and the stability.

The boat holds two fly casters nicely. We always stand on the thwarts and bow deck and have never had stability or casting problems. This week we were in the Delta and a real considerate cruiser came blasting by and gave us some big wake attitude and we just rode them out, standing up.

Earlier we drifted the American, using the oars and it rows fairly well--good enough for maneuvering and for rowing upstream some in 4000 cfs.

The point is that a small boat that is stable, and that would eliminate all but the widest aluminum hulls, can work great for nearly all California waters including the salt in good weather, and you won't have much money into it.

These Olympians are somewhat hard to find, and many of them are trashed. They are also very easy to beef up and repair. The best substitute is a 13' Whaler. They are very similar and about as stable and sell for around $3000-$3500 with a 2 stroke. If I were to replace this boat, I would find a good 13' Whaler hull and swap out the 35 hp two stroke for a 15-25 hp 4 stroke with a tiller or controls. I have had 2 13' Whalers, one a sport and one a Dauntless, and the sport model does great with 25 hp and will plane with a 15 with two people. My boat does 23 mph with 2 (GPS) with a 15 hp 4S. That's plenty for even the Delta.

Now is a great time to shop around. If you have a limited budget but want to access about any water and feel safe and stable, check out something small with a glass trihull with a small 4S.

John

FRSam
10-19-2012, 08:33 AM
I'd love to see a picture of your (Bills) boat. I've got a Montauk 150' looked at the 170 but I agree a bit to big for the water I fish. I'm very pleased with the 150 as it can handle the bigger water but still gets me into the skinny stuff and fits in my garage for the winters up here.

Pete

Sunfish
10-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Just got off the lake. I have a 1974, 14' Olympian. I am the original owner. It has been modified with casting decks. I have a 25 hp Yamaha that pushes it to mid 20's mph.

JAWallace
10-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I'd love to see a picture of your (Bills) boat. I've got a Montauk 150' looked at the 170 but I agree a bit to big for the water I fish. I'm very pleased with the 150 as it can handle the bigger water but still gets me into the skinny stuff and fits in my garage for the winters up here.

Pete I wlll take some pics and post them. Don't get the 170 unless you're fishing mostly the Delta or the bays. For those uses it is perfect, and for less it's big. The new 170 hull is a great improvement over the classic hull in ride, but the intimacy with the water has been lost due to the higher freeboard when at rest . I feel closer to the water in my friend's 1980s Outrage than in my 170 Montauk. If you're going for a Montauk, get an older hull. They are much better for fly fishing and available re-powered with a 4S for around $8-$10K. The 15' Whaler classic may be the coolest Whaler ever, but the hull is made for running in chop and the initial stability is much less than in a 13 or 17.

I think your 15 is ideal for most waters. The only thing that pushed me away from it is not much room with the center console, assuming it's even less than the Montauk. Love the center console but they do take up a lot of space.

John

JAWallace
10-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Just got off the lake. I have a 1974, 14' Olympian. I am the original owner. It has been modified with casting decks. I have a 25 hp Yamaha that pushes it to mid 20's mph.

Jim Wheeler of Spring Creek Prams has purchased the Olympian 14 hull for his new skiff. I'm sure Jim will build a much better boat than the original, and I know he's eliminating the center thwart so it should have loads of room. I won't quote prices, but when we talked I found it hard to believe that there's a market for that boat in the range he was talking.