PDA

View Full Version : Davis Report

Rockman
10-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Fished Davis Sunday & Monday w/ my friend Jamie. Got out at about 7:30 to a lake fog & stillwater at Jenkins Point. Many others showed up over the next 2 hours. Had about a dozen flyfishers bobbing around. I ended up with only 7 fish that day, but what nice fish. Most were clean & strong, avg. size was 16"-17", Jamie also got 7 up to 20".
When I downloaded my photos, I noticed that all my fish were so different in appearence. One was really red, another looked like a chrome steelhead, another was very blue on the head, and another had no spotting to speak off, and one had a thin snake like body, but a big tale and a lot of attitude. ( Fought very hard ).
But, they were all beautiful. Most were caught on a olive seal bugger on my clear int. line on the edges of the outer weed bank.
Monday a.m. I went in tight w/ a floating line and picked up 7 more fish. I was casting a bead headed Denny Rickards stillwater nymph right up to the weed and let it sink just a bit, then a slow retrieve. Hooked a big pig in 15" of water that zipped me into the backing and broke me off in the weeds. He was 22"-24" and would have been my best fish at Davis.
At about 1 p.m. The clouds were gone and the lake was glass. Fish were out in the main body gently slurping bugs, but in was so hard to get close in the tube without spooking them. I did fool one hot 18" fish on a size 12 adult blood midge.
After today, the weather should cool down and it should only get better, going back up in 2 weeks.
Heading to Dunsmuir this weekend!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Excellent post Rockman....thanks.