PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Report 10/11 - 10/16

Troutstalker55B
10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
I've been up here at Eagle guiding since October 11th and the fishing has been up and down. As you know the weather has been unseasonably warm and dry, so the trout have very uncharacteristic feeding behaviors. The fish are scattered and will reside in an area for a day or two then move on. In the last few days I found them at south pelican and the youth camp narrows. First light has been a bust, and good fishing late in the afternoon; so non typical.

Water temps range from 58-63.8 degrees, way to warm to get the fall bite going! There are a ton of minnows in the lake, the most I've seen in the last few years. Effective flies have been tui cubs #10, brown & olive leeches #8, brown J Fair wiggle tails #12, and black & white buggers #8. They're not leader shy-3x.

The trout are bigger this year, we had quite a few fish to boat in the 3.5-4 pound range. Sunday was our best day with 7 fish and missing another 12, all on the brown leech.

Yesterday I had the biggest scare yet of my boating history. Of course it had to happen at Eagle with big wind, 3-4 foot swells, and clients on board. The motor sputtered to a stop and would sometimes start but not keep an idle. I used the electric to flee to a shoal and dropped both anchors hoping they would hold and not lift and break free; if that happened we would drift and bash against the rocks at youth camp. I called 911 and sent out a mayday distress call, Lassen county sheriff came to the rescue and towed the boat back to the south marina. We got lucky, it could have been really ugly. The culprit was a cup of water throughout the entire fuel system. James from J&L boat repair in Spalding dropped everything and got my motor running again. Fantastic customer service from James; he is the man!

When boating big water always have an escape plan, you never know what the hell is going to happen! It's day 11 of my 20+ days "gypsy guide tour" as I make my way back down to Lake Davis. Never a dull moment in the Baiocchi camp; hope to see you out there!

Jon.

OceanSunfish
10-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Way to stay calm and composed out there and follow your well prepared emergency protocol...... Glad to hear you got back safely.

FRSam
10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
It sure could have been a lot worse when you get those big swells and the wind blowing...hang on! Glad to hear everything went so well...that boat of yours is built for the big water.

Davis continues to fish well...I was out this past Monday and got into several nice fish at our usual buckets both from the boat and shore. Hopefully this weather will hold for the rest of the week. I plan to try and get out tomorrow, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Pete

Troutstalker55B
10-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Here is a link with a recap, a Lake Davis/Frenchman's Reservoir report, and some pics;
http://www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/flyfishing-news-info.php?flyfishing=6391