PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Sink vs. Integrated Shooting Lines

JAWallace
10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
I've been using a Rio Outbound integrated and a Teeny integrated for anadromous and Delta bass this year and love the distance and fast loading. For lakes, I have the usual Types I-IV uniform sink. What would I give up by trading those for integrated shooting lines? I could probably get another 20' - 30' in distance which means at least 30% more fishing time when stripping for trout in lakes. Do they belly in the water, or otherwise impede a good retrieve or fly action?

Tony Buzolich
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Local,

I think you are asking about the difference between a "head" vs an "integrated head". Definitely integerated heads give you a smoother casting and retrieve for stripping but really have nothing to do with how they sink. Integrated lines come in all sink rates just like your older heads do. You can have ie. a 300gr. line for your rod that floats, or suspends, or sinks at several different rates, but, each requires a different line.

The only downside is that you cannot simply change the head if you want to adjust your sink rate. You would need to change he entire line.

Hope this helps, Tony

JD
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
If I read this right, Local's asking the difference between a shooting head (integrated or not) and a uniform sink aka full sink line. If so, then the difference is that a shooting head will not stay in the zone as long as a full sink, because of the belly in the shooting line. You might be able to mitigate the effect a bit by using a sinking shooting line, but it will still have a slower sink rate than the head. Considering that staying at the right depth is way more important to me in stillwater, than casting distance (except maybe if casting from shore ala Pyramid), I do not consider the the two types of lines interchangeable.

Darian
10-17-2012, 03:04 PM
"What would I give up by trading those for integrated shooting lines?" Seems to me that what he's proposing to trade is uniform sink lines for integrated lines with some type of head (as yet unspecified).

I agree with what Tony said and would add that, in my IMO, the attitude of a line while sinking will be impacted by the shape of the head (tapered vs level). A level shaped head will probably sink with a level attitude and at the same rate overall until it is pulled on by the running line (floating or intermediate) which will cause it to tilt downward. As the head continues to sink, the tilted end will sink slower creating a bend in the line that progresses downward until it hangs vertically (this doesn't take into account impact of currents on the head). That could cause a "belly" if allowed to sink without retrieving. Especially if using an unweighted fly which will tend to slow the attitude/rate and make the end of the line buoy upward. Of course, an integrated, tapered head (WF) line will be more to experience bellying due to the density/shape of the head.

Keep in mind that a uniform sink line probably doesn't really sink at a uniform attitude/rate as unless fished in still waters (which can, also, have currents in them).

As you've already said, casting is usually better with an integrated line/head and better yet with a mono running line and shooting head.

OK, having said all of that, remember that this is just an opinion based on my experiences, observation and reading related materials.... So, it seems that you have to spend your money and make a choice (or not).... :D

JAWallace
10-17-2012, 03:36 PM
JD is correct. I was inquiring about the difference between an integrated shooting line and a uniform sink line, not shooting heads. Still, I think my question was answered well as those who know more than I feel a belly would form which defeats the purpose of a uniform stillwater line. I'll stick with them for trout water. Thank you!

John