PDA

View Full Version : Simms BOA Boot and AlumiBite Cleats Rock!

Magic
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I finally wore my Cloudveil Wading Boots out after over 100 fish trips. I purchased the new SIMMS RiverTek BOA boots with the AlumiBite Cleats.
1st. The boots are very easy to get in/out, the tongue pulls way out. The BOA system is fast and easy to synch up. The new AlumiBite cleats are the best I have tried (I have tried them all, except Patagonia bars). These cleats are soft and really grip the rocks. Best traction I have experienced. Great Combo. Highly recommend.

fredaevans
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Only caution I'd pass on is the screws can back out on these 'after market' cleats. Check tightness before every trip.

wkoutptr
10-20-2012, 08:59 PM
I have the same boots & cleats. Through about 25 days of wear, I like the BOA system but always bring an extra pair of boots on a multi day trip. If a shoe lace breaks, the repair is simple - not so simple if the BOA system fails. The alumibite cleats are great but wear out after about a dozen days of wear.

Magic
10-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I did notice they are soft and was thinking they would wear out after a while. I noticed my other cleats wear out too. I was thinking of adding some SIMMS Hardbite to the mix. I do like the grip action of the AlumiBite so far! Thanks.

JAWallace
10-23-2012, 08:20 AM
What is the recommendation for aftermarket cleats for felt soles? Simms says Alumabite are intended for rubber soles. Thanks.

Ralph
10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
The alumibite cleats are great but wear out after about a dozen days of wear.

Woah! I have nearly 100 days on a set of Alumibites. They're rounded nubs, but still have gription. Love the things.

pvsprme
10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Another for the alumibites. After wearing my Simms streamtread rubber soles on the Lower Merced in March and about killing myself on Basalt or lava bedrock, I got a box of them. 14 per box, 7/boot. Was told that's not enough, but works great. Put 4 under the ball, 2/side and 3 under the heel, 1 each side and 1 center-rear. Stuck like glue this last week. Way cheaper than the cleat bars.

Magic
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi Robert, you mentioned the Merced. I am the Bay Area,...any close places off Hwy 99 to fish the Merced?
Thanks! ~magic

BTW, I just fished Battle Creek ...all volcanic rock and the AlumiBite saved me on some slippery polished rocks.
I was sure I was going to eat it on one slippery bolder I a stepped out on it and it gripped it like glue! NFL should have these on their gloves. :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-27-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/alumibite_cleat.html

They do show wear but that is why they work.

Over the years there havebeen lots of aluminum on the bottoms of wading boots.

It is great to hear more feedback on them.......thanks everyone.

aaron
10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
What is the recommendation for aftermarket cleats for felt soles? Simms says Alumabite are intended for rubber soles. Thanks.
I use them in felt, add some adhesive like aquaseal to the screw threads and they'll stay in felt soles no problem.

pvsprme
10-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Magic,
PM sent,
R