PDA

View Full Version : Swinging Lines

Jet
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I've been doing more streamer fishing and having fun. I was wondering what line do you use for swinging nymphs or soft hackles. I was thinking about getting a short sink tip(clear, III or V????) floating line for swinging. I currently have floating, galloup streamer and 24' sink tip. I also saw the new SA hover line that sinks about 6" to a foot. I'm trying to get away from using indicators as much as possible. I enjoy casting all day with dries or streamers but high sticking and indicator fishing wears me out. Thanks in advance for any info. So many lines and so pricey I want to try to get the right one on the first try.

Thanks,

Jet

P.S Heading to the USac manana... possibly the McCloud and head through Burney on the way home on Sun...Hope to see you out there!

Darian
10-11-2012, 06:36 AM
I've been using a 7 weight, sink tip line for the purpose you describe for about 25 years. The tip is an HD (an old designation) on a single hander. I've used this line in local, Rogue, Klamath, Trinity, Upper Sac, McCloud Rivers; even estuaries with success over the years.

It's been sitting on a reel for the last few years since I decided to concentrate on salt/warm water stuff. It was a Cortland brand. Not sure I could replace that line now. If you could find something similar in a modern line, it would probably serve you well.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I guess if you have a floater and a fast sinking 24' sinktip (sinkhead?) then I guess a medium (10-15')length sinktip would be a good choice.

We sell a lot of type 3/III and type 4 / IV in that medium length.

We also sell lots of 10' Poly / Versi leaders in different sinkrates too that you can merely loop onto your floating line.

Woodman
10-11-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm sold on poly leaders and versileaders for this purpose. They come in lots of sink rates and lengths. For the cost of a sinktip fly line, you can have half a dozen options instead of one. They won't replace the fast sinking streamer line, but work well for shallower options.