PDA

View Full Version : Rio Indicator vs SA Textured Nymph/Indicator lines

stonefish
10-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I need a new floater for indicator fishing for salmon and steelhead. I've narrowed it down to these to Rio Indicator or the SA Textured Nymph/Indicator.
If anyone uses either of these, I'd like to hear your pros and cons on these lines.
Thanks for your input.
SF

Langenbeck
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
If you are using either a switch rod or a Spey rod would highly recommend the Airflow Speydacator line. There is a good U Tube video on this line. Have had mine for two full seasons and would buy another. About 95% of my steelhead fishing is indicator fishing.

stonefish
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Should have mentioned this will be for a single hander.

shawn kempkes
10-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I have used both on my lighter rods. Last year I tried one of these on my 8 wt sage rod
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/switch/switch-line/

I found it superior to anything else. I like how the airflo spedicator cast but the dam thing sinks. It s ok when you are swinging when you head sinks a little but not when you are nymphing.

Jed Peters
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I have had great success with my rio indicator line. I typically don't use a bobber and this technique works well. I like the bright red tip to "sight" my line to denote when a fish has hit. The line floats high and has held up well with a lot of fishing over the last year.

NOTE: I overline it on my sage 99 6wt by one fly line.

joshfish
10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I have the rio indicator line on my tfs indicator rod. The line has worked good for me. I like the orange tip for high sticking. The only line I have compared it to is the rio Atlantic salmon/steelhead line and I can't say that one line works better than the other for indicator fishing.

stonefish
10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks to all for your input. It is much appreciated.
SF

Rocketfish
10-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I have used both. The Rio floats really high and has a shorter indicator tip, great line. I will say, I do like the SA textured line a little better in that it is a little more versatile and it casts and mends VERY well. Lately I have had an issue with the tip sinking itself, but it's probably just due for a good cleaning and conditioning. I say that the SA is more versatile because I have swapped my indicator rigs for buggers and dries and it will launch anything I put on it. The Rio is a little more geared toward strictly nymphing and has trouble turning anything else over with any manner of grace.

Hope this helps.