PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake and Frenchman Lake Oct 3-7

gene goss
10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Wendnesday: After setting up camp and gathering some fire wood, it was time to go check out the evening fishing at Frenchman, we parked at Nightcrawer Bay and had to backpack our tubes to the water. The water temp. 61 degrees with lots of weedbeds and shallow water coves, we sat with our feet on the bottom, and we could cover almost all the shallow water and watch the sun go down with trout rising till dark. Most of the trout are hold overs with there bright colors for the fall, fishing for these in the shallow water can be a challenge, but we did land a couple of fish before it got dark.
Thrusday: We went to Davis Lake today, launch at Fairview, fished Mosquito Bay, caught a couple of fish, and went into another bay and kicked over to the shore and seen no fishing working there, so we backpacked our tubes over to Freeman Bay and found some fishing working in a cove, then the north wind came up and put the fish down, we switch to our inter. line and kept hooking fish. I kicked over to Cow Bay for a look, and didn't see anything happing so i ate my lunch, and with the wind building i kicked across Freeman Bay, backpacked my tube to another bay. By now the wind was blowing 20 mph. with some big gusts, i kicked to the north end of the bay, and found some clean water, stuck my fins into the mud and started hooking these hold overs in 2ft. of water with the wind blowing like crazy. I caught over 15 trout 17-19 inches in a couple of hours on a floating line and a black and orange wiggle tail....(halloween fly)
Friday: We fished Nightcrawler Bay at Frenchman Lake and found some nice weedbeds and a shallow cove that had a creek bed that was full of rising fish, this creek bed was only 15ft. wide with weed beds on both sides, i would catch some trout move down the creek channel catch some more trout, and move down again..... It was like fishing in a barrel.
Saturday: We went back Nightcrawler Bay and found out duck season open today, so with 9 duck hunters and 11 floatubes in the bay we started fishing, after awhile the duck hunters took a break and Scott and a couple of other tubers moved into the cove and the creek channel and caught some nice rising trout. I stayed out of the mess and found a nice flat on the East side of the bay that i caught some nice hold over on my halloween fly.
Sunday: Scott and i fished the bay in front of the campground that morning, we found a flat with some weed beds and i caught a couple of fish there...looks like that flat could be good later in the year....a great trip and i learned a lot more about shallow water fishing.
If you could expand this picture you would see the trout barrel.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/Frenchmanlake10-3-7-12002_zpsc427b193.jpg
John Peterson said that the trout barrel was his best stillwater fishing day in along time.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/Frenchmanlake10-3-7-12001_zpscbb87651.jpg
My best catch for the trip was a couple of taco's at Los Dos Hermanos in Sierraville.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/Frenchmanlake10-3-7-12003_zpsf59bb6b6.jpg