PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii: Fly Fishing Kaua'i...

Further North
10-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I posted on another board (regional) and got good feedback from jbird (I'll be checking with Nervous Waters per his recommendation)...and it just dawned on me tonight that I should ask a wider audience...

I'll be on Kaua'i for about 6 days that I might be be able to fish a little - I won't be able to devote entire days, and what I do get in will probably be early/late, or an hour or two as the girls frolic on a beach someplace.

I'm not going to wander too far from my girls, so what I'm really wondering is: If I take along an 8 wt. and some Clouser-style flies, will I be wasting my time, or is there at least a chance I'll catch something interesting?

The purpose of the trip is not fishing, if I get some in, it'll be a bonus...what (if anything) should I focus on?

jbird
10-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Hey Geoff. If Don Memmer "Mems" see's this youll definitly be pointed in the right direction. Another great forum to inquire in is here... http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php

Further North
10-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm on it - thanks!

Who won the game?

SHigSpeed
10-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Here's a link to a post I made after a trip back:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17705&highlight=Hawaii

Sorry that there aren't more specifics, but you should be able to get SOMETHING with what you mentioned.

Enjoy!

_SHig

Tony Buzolich
10-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I just saw a show about fly fishing fishing peacock bass on Kaua'i. Can't remember if it was Conway Bowman or Season's on the Fly or one of those fly fishing shows but there is a resident guide that takes folks out just for that. If he's dialed in to fly fishing I'm sure he could get you going in the salt too.
Tony

Tony Buzolich
10-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I just found it. Check out Grand Slam Fly Fishing and Bonefish Kaua'i. I bet these guys can get you into some fish while you're there.
Tony

mems
10-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Aloha Geoff, ya hey der der, so ya going to the garden isle doncha know. Kauai has lots of opportunities. Rainbow trout up at kokee. Peacock bass and largemouth in the ponds and lakes. Bonefish and trevally inshore. Ahi and mahi offshore. An 8wt is a good place to start. Floating line, and some clousers and some shrimp flies for the bones. I would give Rob Aritta a call and book him for a day. He can show you where to go and then you can do it yourself after that. Let me know if you need anymore details. You can e-mail me at kickithilo@yahoo.com Good luck and have a good time, the surf is starting to get big! Mems.

Further North
10-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks folks....looks like I'll be packing the rod...I'm following up on all the recomandations....I did a little reading last week and ordered a Rio Clouser line...way better than the pike/bass sink tip I keep on the 8 wt most of the time....

I won't have a ton of time, but will try to get some fishing in every day if I can sneak off for a while (even if it's just dinking around at the resort)...the girls get 1st priority this trip, but I should have a couple hours a day at least.

Don, e-mail on the way, I will be grateful for whatever you can tell me....

wineslob
10-09-2012, 07:14 AM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/198293-fly-fishing-for-trout-in-hawaii/

Gremmie41
10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
ALOHA
If you go to the Nervous Waters Fly Fishers website, look for the Hawaii Flies section. You'll get a good idea of what we use here. Charlies and Gotchas are always good. If your blind casting, something with Orange is great, especially early morning and before sundown.
Hope you hook up(hanapa'a)!! 8)

Further North
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks again, I've got a dozen Gotchas on the way, and we'll be near Kokee at least once...If I can find a place to fish for trout or bass I'll give it a shot.