PDA

View Full Version : Chasing POON

Garrett S Realtor
10-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Heading to the florida keys and was wondering if any on has recommendations on cheaper lodging. The main question would be, out of all the keys out there where would you make base camp for tarpon fishing on the flats? Upper, middle, or lower keys?

Tony Buzolich
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
We've hit most of the keys for tarpon but our favorite area is around Islamorada.

Hiring a guide to learn the area better is critical to catching fish, but, once you've become familiar with the area you CAN do a lot of fishing on your own.

My wife and I have stayed at several places on Big Pine Key, Parmer's on Southerland Key, etc. but our favorite place is Coral Bay Lodge just over the bridge from Islamorada proper. Once checked in, I drive back toward the bridge and pick up a boat that I have reserved at Robbie's Marina. I drive the boat back to the Coral Bay and have it for the week or however long we're there. This is great as you can come and go as often as you like from the motel's dock.

Book a couple of days with a guide to learn what's happening where. After that, you've got your own boat any time you like. For safety reasons, just don't get out of sight of the bridges and you'll never get lost. There's only ONE highway north and south all the way to Key West so these bridges are your only reference point.

Doing it this way will save you a lot of money and you'll have a great time exploring. There are tons of mangroves and small islands without names so stay in touch with the bridges and follow the channel markers to avoid shallow hard bottoms. Robbie's will charge you for prop damage. (ask how I know)???

Farther south there is the Marathon area with lots of small motels that I'm sure you can find affordable, though I've never stayed there. Over the Seven Mile Bridge is Big Pine Key and we've stayed at the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge near Bahia Honda several times too. Boats can be rented at Bahia Honda State Park.

Farther south you'll start getting into the Key West area and prices seem to climb as the road runs out.

Hope this helps you get started, Tony

Garrett S Realtor
10-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks Tony, so many options I can not make a decision. Trying to think like a migrating tarpon looking at google maps seeing what has the most deep channels and flats to chase bait.