PDA

View Full Version : Colorado cutthroats...in California

windknot
10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Ever since first reading in Ralph Cutter’s Sierra Trout Guide about the fascinating story of how a population of Colorado cutthroats came to reside in “a basin of lakes on the shoulders of the highest peaks in the nation,” I’ve wanted to visit this unique fishery. At first though I lacked the knowledge of where to go. Then, once I learned where this basin was located, I realized that I lacked the hiking skill and strength needed in order to reach it. And even after I had built up enough experience over several years of strenuous backpacking trips to make the trip physically feasible, I still lacked the ability to take time off work during the brief window in which these lakes could be legally fished.

However, last year the rules restricting entry into this particular area were changed. With no more physical or legal barriers standing in the way, did I now lack the drive or desire to still complete this quest after all this time? After all, I’ve fished hundreds of backcountry lakes and caught countless trout since Sierra Trout Guide first helped inspire me to pursue trout in the Sierra Nevada. Was it enough to know where these fish were and what they looked like without expending a not insignificant amount of time and effort in order to experience them for myself?

Apparently not.

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/15750/2061426370101587741S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/12099/2472760470101587741S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/51451/2907950260101587741S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/50095/2027787700101587741S500x500Q85.jpg

I only spent an hour fishing for these fish I had dreamed about catching for over ten years. It was more than enough. After all, there are always more lakes to explore and other fish to see.

In keeping with the long-standing tradition of not naming this fishery that was formerly deemed sensitive, I'm playing it conservatively, but in reality it's quite easy to determine this location (just do a Google search for Colorado cutthroats in California) and so by not including any names in this post I'm simply trying not to make it easier for the Google searchbots to index these pictures. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'm happy to elaborate more on the subject.

Scott V
10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
It is so amazing that such a beautiful fish could live in such a baron place and survive.

wineslob
10-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure I know where that area is. I've been hanker'n to fish it for nearly 30 years. But age, (I'm 53 and I don't know if I really want to hike that area, it's rough) and life/wife/knees in general say no. Dammit. :mad:

Sure those are Cutts? Or are they Goldens?

windknot
10-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah, they're pure Colorado cutthroats. In 1931, the California DFG traded 25,000 golden trout eggs with the Colorado Fish Commission in exchange for 30,000 Colorado cutthroat eggs. The DFG then planted the fingerlings that hatched from these eggs in a remote Sierra basin, where the fish grew and established a self-sustaining fishery which remained untouched and rarely visited by humans over the next fifty years.

Then in the late 80's, fisheries biologists were concerned about the genetic purity of existing stocks of Colorado cutthroats, so they worked out an arrangement to extract a number of fish from this isolated refuge population from the High Sierra in order to establish a new brood stock of indisputably pure cutts. Pretty neat story about how this bit of California fisheries management trivia many years ago ended up having a significant impact on the conservation of a trout native to Colorado.

And it's definitely a tough hike to get up there. I'm a bit younger than you though, and figured I'll only get older, so the time to do this trip was now!

Woodman
10-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for sharing. I will have to live vicariously through you or go to Colorado and find some a little lower in elevation.

I think my days of 30 mile round trips may be over.

Ed Wahl
10-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the Pleuriticus in Cali Club. New guy buys the drinks.

I had to abide by the old regs and hump over a bunch of snow at the top of the pass.

Looks like they're done spawning, judging by the colors.

Well done.

And I wasn't kidding about the drinks either.:D

Ed

Fly Guy Dave
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey Ed, I guess that depends on who is the "newest" or "newer" person to join the Pleuriticus in Cali club. I joined in 2007, which is newer than some, but older than others, no doubt. What year did you join? Perhaps there are others that are newer than me (or us) and we're owed a lot of drinks by the newbies! C'mon! Work with me here! ;)

SHigSpeed
10-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Were there some regs in place to protect the wooly natives? I sooo want to do this trip, but I'm quite afraid of it. I guess it behooves those that have gone before to make it out as a death march right? :)

Thanks for sharing!

_SHig

PS Those are some big UGLY flies you're chuckin' at those fish! Must be fun to watch them slam 'em!

Ben J
10-02-2012, 09:38 PM
That is so awesome...

Some of my first great fly fishing was chasing greenback cutthroats in Rocky Mountain NP... in some of the most beautiful alpine lakes I have ever seen. Gotta love the willingness of cutties to take the fly.

EricO
10-03-2012, 06:29 AM
That is too cool. Had no idea they existed in Cali.

Looks like it'd be quite a hike judging by the barren landscape.

Studly.

EO

windknot
10-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks all, appreciate the kind words.

Ed and Dave, beer's on me next time you're in the East Bay! Unless of course I can get someone else to hoof it up there and relieve me of my new member duties. :)

Scott, I wasn't told of any special restrictions when picking up the permit, and I double-checked yesterday out of curiosity and can't find anything. There's no hunting of bighorns allowed, obviously. Other than that, it seems that the restriction of travel in the area was lifted after studies showed that recreational use in the area (fishing, camping, climbing) had no negative effect on the bighorn population.

Jay
10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Nice Matt!

I sure am glad I did that death march ( yes, it really is a death march) just to fish the wrong lakes in that watershed. LOL

Now that I am living in California, Im not quite sooooo bummed.

Still the coolest backcountry trip I have ever done. Glad you made it in there!

Jay
10-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Also Matt, I think there MAY be a dog restriction in that area,

Morgan
10-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Very cool scenery.
AMazing how a fish could survive up there.
Love the pics and thanks for sharing.
30 miles round trip doesnt sound fun at all to me.

Ned Morris
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
July 5th 1999 I joined. Once I figured out the locale in 1991 took me friggin' 8 years to plan. Phil Pfister is the Club Founder (correct me if I am wrong gentlemen)

Hey Ed, I guess that depends on who is the "newest" or "newer" person to join the Pleuriticus in Cali club. I joined in 2007, which is newer than some, but older than others, no doubt. What year did you join? Perhaps there are others that are newer than me (or us) and we're owed a lot of drinks by the newbies! C'mon! Work with me here! ;)