PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Jay Murakoshi
10-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Finally getting around to report on my fall baja trip. Arrived on Sat. afternoon to some flooded roads and huge pot holes. I guess it started raining on Friday around noon and some where around 6 pm it let up for an hour then started coming down again until 2am. Have you seen 10" of rain in that short of time span. Well La Paz did. It's rained more in three weeks than it has in three years.
Most of the arroyo's had slowed down or stopped flowing, but there's a bunch of sand in the road way which washed down from the hills. A couple arroyo's washed part of the road away so it was slow going. I believe this was Tropical storm Norman, that wasn't even on the radar. What a surprise
On Sunday, our first day of fishing, it was a little tough finding the fish. Even the conventional trollers had a tough time. All we had were a few small jacks, roosters, and pain in the a$$ needle fish. But it was only the first day. Temperature wise, it's quite hot for this time of year. Today forecast was 43c in US terms 109 with some humidity but not bad
On Sunday, the bait was small (just like last year) but a few larger ones were in the mix.
The good thing is it's right in Muertos Bay
Monday we boated to the island for bait, just past the light house on the southend of the island - no long boat ride. The bait today was medium-small to some larger ones. Who's complaining, after May and June with no bait, small is a blessing. We went out to look for skipjack off the mound, reports were some tuna in the area. No tuna, no skipjack. We then ventured to the channel and checked a couple buoys, nothing. So we headed to the Punta Arena for some roosters, found a bunch of needle fish willing to eat a fly. But one big rooster interrupted there feeding frenzy, No, we didn't hook up.
Went to Punta Perico and found a few dorado but they kept swimming right past the panga.
So we headed to the buoys right outside Muertos bay and the second buoy we hit came alive.
Dorado everywhere, 10, 15, 20.... damn, which one do I target. Time to cherry pick your fish, Ahhhh damn hooked up to a small one. FISH ON! Then a double !!!! I grabbed a rod and smacked the water a few times and BINGO a pretty decent size fish. So when Ann landed her fish, I handed her this hot fish and grabbed the rod she was using and continued to hook up, which kept the fish around for a while. It soon died off and we ventured to the next buoy. Dorado, dorado, dorado, they were soon hooked up again and again. The good thing about this day, only 7 boats launched and we had the whole area to ourselves.
At the end of the day, the conventional guys who were trolling only had a few dorado, we had a bunch. Efren and Marisio went to La Ventana and hammered the dorado at the buoys.
All I can say is we all had a good day of fishing. I'll be with Efren, Steve and Joan tomorrow for some filming. The Lucero family will eat good tonight

Almost forgot, the Humbolt squid are less than a mile of the beach in from of the old Las Arenas hotel

I'd post some photo's but working on a video and will include them in the video

Jay

Darian
10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Amazing what a bunch of wild-ass Dorado can do to lift your day. Good to hear you got into 'em. Too bad you couldn't get the Rooster to eat. Tomorrow!!! :D

Jay Murakoshi
10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
The report for today from baja california... Fishing was good the catching was fair. Our boats did get some dorado at the buoys and just drifting. The boat I was in today ventured down to Boca del Alamo, saw dorado on the surface but not interested in eating. I can say we out fished the trollers again.
The weather was fantastic early morning then got a little toasty. No wind, glassy conditions all day, water temperature fairly warm. There are sardina's everywhere. The rocks by the old las arenas hotel, punta viejo, on the other side of the island, in Muertos Bay, and down by La Ventana. The bait is small in some places but around 2 1/2" at the island. By next season they should be around 4"
I'm taking a couple days off to rest the knees then back at it on Friday, fishing with Joan Reem. So hopefully I'll be getting some more video footage

Reports tomorrow

Jay

Hatch
10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey Jay,
Glad you are "Gett'n Em". Give my condolences to Efran for the Tiborone's loss to the Miners in their play off games. And tell him to get rid of that ugly sticker on the front of his center console. Have fun.
HATCH AKA Capt. Pitayero

Jay Murakoshi
10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Hatch,

The group is holding it's own. Yesterday they got a few small roosters, a couple dorado and something big that they didn't even see. It came up, grabbed a crease fly and headed to the bottom then straight out. I think it was a big rooster or jack. Marisio thinks it was a jack.
What's this about a puffer. Efren was telling me the story

Jay