PDA

View Full Version : Rogue river trip report (longish)

JasonB
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
As requested, I'll share a tad from our very recent Rogue adventure. It was with great anticipation that my wife and I headed up to one of our very favorite rivers anywhere. The excitement was multi layered; for one this would be a chance at hopefully hooking up with some steelhead (a new found addiction) and trying our luck at some new styles of fishing for us, on a deeper level this trip would be celebrating our 10th anniversary (where the hell did THAT time go :eek: )!

We scored a late cancellation permit for just the two of us (and our trusty dogs), made some plans, tied up countless flies, loaded up the car with a seemingly endless mountain of gear boxes, cooler, raft, food, camping stuff, and of course fishing stuff.... basically one hell of a lot of STUFF. I secretly wondered if my lil ol pickup would even make it all the way up there and back... particularly when I noticed the odometer reading as we left Mt Shasta early Monday morning http://www.kiene.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5090&stc=1&d=1349112085
We made it up to Galice just fine and picked up our permit, and began the process of unloading that mountain of stuff into the raft, our new home for the next 5 days!
http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5094&stc=1&d=1349113323

In terms of fishing, lets just say that it was pretty tough; whoever said that steelhead are the fish of a thousand casts was clearly a much better angler than my wife or myself (and probably had far better casts as well). I started to count how many casts I did, just for fun, but I lost count very early on... still I'm fairly certain that we both did a lot more than our fair share. Couldn't feel too bad, as most other anglers that we met weren't exactly doing great either; even a couple of the guides mentioned that things had been a bit on the slower side.

I think in the end we averaged out to about 1 hookup per day, with another grab or two on the better days. I shouldn't complain too much, but it's hard not to have higher hopes. The hookups we had were mostly smallish half pounders who really had the "jump high and spit the hook" routine down solid. Only landed 1 each the whole trip.

On a more positive note fishing wise; we caught PLENTY of fiesty pike minnow, who seemed pretty eager to eat anything that came in their way. While they certainly were no replacement for steelhead, at least they helped to not loose focus and forget that there are fish to be caught if you pay attention. The highlight for me was catching this chinook, my first on a fly!
http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5091&stc=1&d=1349112770

Also just spending some time to adjust to a whole new style of fishing made my time between grabs enjoyable and entertaining. With each new tid bit that I'd come to understand a little more it is becoming clearer and clearer just how much more I have to learn still... kind of like "real life" too. I will say that I find swinging flies to be a very fun and engaging way to fish, probably more so than any other style I've tried yet.

(more in part 2)

JasonB
10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
In order to share just a few more pics I had to do a second part:

Some of the additional highlights of almost any Rogue river trip typically include the wide range of critters that tend to make themselves known. This trip was no exception there as we had several encounters with bald eagles, osprey, great blue herons, otters, and bears of course. The Rogue is famous for it's bears; often in a not so positive way as the river has had issues for years with bears getting into folks gear in search of an easy meal. This year the forest service ranger informed us had been unusual in that there had not been a single report of any bear problems, although they have been as plentiful as always. We actually saw a record number on this trip, a total of 8 bears all in the last 2 days!

So all in all a very fine trip in a special canyon, with some success fishing, lots of learning, and some utterly spectacular weather to enjoy...
If you've not been, I can't recommend a float trip down the lower Rogue enough...
JB

aaron
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Awesome Report Jason, thanks.

Larry S
10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Jason,
Great report. We always did better (late summer & early fall) on the lower
section below Agness. Especially closer to Lobster Creek. Not nearly as scenic, tho'.
Best,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Jason......an excellent post.

Garrett S Realtor
10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I would love to do this float and I was wondering if you guys can make it possible by answering a few questions. Best time of year to go? Where did you launch? Where did you pull out and is there a shuttle to use?.....Maybe it will be easier if you just take me next time (my attempt at humor due to feeling guilty about my list of questions)

JasonB
10-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I would love to do this float and I was wondering if you guys can make it possible by answering a few questions. Best time of year to go? Where did you launch? Where did you pull out and is there a shuttle to use?.....Maybe it will be easier if you just take me next time (my attempt at humor due to feeling guilty about my list of questions)

Garrett,
No worries on questions; I've had plenty that I've peppered this board with, and have countless more to come. As for "best time" to go, that depends I suppose:
-summer is nice and warm, makes for easy camping with minimal gear and great swimming in crystal clear side creeks along the way.

-fall has more unpredictable weather but does have gorgeous added colors and in general more active wildlife (my own theory here is that once you have some numbers of salmon and steelhead around it tends to bring the bears, otters, eagles, etc out and about more and thus we see more of them?) Stopping to watch the salmon jump up Rainie falls is a highlight that usually is happening from september onward (sometimes a bit earlier too).

-winter and early spring are not my favorite times for this stretch of river only because there are others that I usually tend to target then...

as far as ideal fishing times, I would have answered but I think this trip made me less certain that I really know the ideal run timing but think that theoretically sept-oct are pretty nice times in terms of good fishing and pretty fair weather.

As for the float logistics:
-you need a permit to float that stretch (tough to win one in the lottery, but not hard to get a cancellation date for a small sized group) for more info start here: http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/rogue/permit.php
-there is shuttle service through Galice resort (and others I'm sure) for $115 currently. the sometimes crappy road (bear camp) takes about 1.5-2 hrs to drive it (one way) so it's really worth just paying the price to have it done for you.
-there are several launch choices between Galice and Graves creek (the start of the wilderness section). We usually launch at "argo" which is just about a mile or so upstream from Graves creek and offers a bit more room and is less crowded than Graves creek (where groups should plan on being able to make a pretty fast efficient launch).
-we took out at Foster bar, which is the first takeout after the wild section. Further downstream the river stays nice for fishing/floating for a few miles to Agness but pretty quickly you start loosing current and gaining head winds which can be fierce at times. Most folks take out at Foster bar typically...below Agness I would want a boat with a motor ideally.
-you would need to be comfortable rowing class 3 whitewater minimally. There are 3 rapids in particular that stand out, and many many more that offer moderate excitement/challenge to most folks: Rainie falls, Mule creek canyon, and Blossom bar. The falls border on class 5 and most folks bump and scrape their way down a steep dynamited "fish ladder" channel around them. Mule creek canyon is a vertical walled constriction with very turbulent water for almost a half mile; while not particularly threatening to larger sized raft it makes for a terrifying swim for the unfortunate. Blossom bar has an "easy" move at the top to avoid a very dangerous sieve of rocks, which has been responsible for many boat pins as well as a few drownings. Not trying to scare anyone away, just know what you're in for before you get too far into planning a trip.
-time wise, the run can be paddled in as few as 2 days (this would leave almost no fishing time), but most folks find 4 days offers a pretty relaxing pace if you know how to be efficient on camp setup/ break down and boat loading/unloading. We took 5 on this trip which was really nice, offering lots of lounging time and plenty of fishing time.

Also know that you have a lot of the same aesthetics and fishing on the stretches of river just above the wild section: hog creek boat ramp down to Galice or Galice down to Graves creek for example have fine scenery and fine fishing as well with no more than class 2 whitewater, and no need for permits or an expensive shuttle. Thus it's an easy alternative, although its still no where near as dramatic of a river trip overall it makes for a very nice short trip in its own right.
Cheers,
JB