PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please!

Artin
10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi all,
My name is Artin, quite original I might add. I am a member of the Fly fishing Addicts forum and been for quite some time. I am under the same user name there as well.
I am a So. Cal. resident and recently I got a job which will last about 3 months or so in Santa Rosa. I start next week and will be moving up there over the weekend.
So I asked my forum members about fishing opportunities in that area and among some of the replies was a suggestion to come on your forum and see if I could get some more dialed in information.
We have a hotspotting issue down here so we try to keep sensitive information on PM's for the sake of our waters as much as possible.
You can check me out over there to make sure I am who I say I am.
I've tie my own flies as well as build my own bamboo rods...
here is a link to a rod I have almost completed for your enjoyment.

http://www.flyfishingaddicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7442

This job will be on avery tight schedule and I will mostly be working Mon. through Sat. I will need to get back home to see my family on most weekends and thus, I will have minimal time to fish. But fish I will!
I am trying see if there are any good waters I can fish within an hour of Santa Rosa.

I appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks,

Artin

BobVP
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Welcome.....
Moving north just (almost) in time for the steelhead fishing on the north coast. Lots of rivers to fish once the rain brings them up to fishing levels (and hopefully not too much beyond)
Keep your eyes on the board, there is a Steelhead/Salmon Thread below, and make sure to get your steelhead card!
The Russian is close! 15/20 minutes to fishing! Then there are the coastal rivers from the Garcia north....
Again, Welcome.

Darian
10-01-2012, 10:06 AM
If you're interested in warmwater fishing, there's a couple of lakes to try near Santa Rosa. Try Sonoma Lake or Spring Lake. The latter is in a state park, is smallish and has some great Bass fishing to offer. Then, there're some Smallmouth Bass in the Russian River to try.

Another source of info about that area is the Press-Democrat, a newspaper for the Santa Rosa area. Has fishing reports. Check the archives for earlier fish reports.

Charlie S
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Please check your messages.

k9mark
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I can vouch for Artin as I too am a member at FFA's. Artin, welcome. Take a look at the Putah Creek below Lake Berryessa

Tony Buzolich
10-02-2012, 06:13 AM
It's no secret that the Russian is going to be your best choice as it's almost in Santa Rosa and a good starting point would be at Healdsburg (a few minutes north on Hwy.101). Start working down river from here and check out the hatchery at Dry Creek.

You will also want to head west to Guerneville and explore the tidewaters around Cassini Ranch at Austin Creek. Stop in at King's in Guerneville for the best local information.

I used to drive there after work in Napa and hit Cassini for a few hours before dark and had some great evenings.

Comets, Comets, and Comets were always the fly. Purple sparkle was a good color late in the day.

Three months fishing the Russian ought to get you in the game. Good luck,
Tony

Artin
10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Thank you all for the wearm welcome and generous advice. I am pretty stoked about going up for work. Fishing the area is just the icing on the cake for me!
I will definitely get some time on the water as I will have most of my gear with me to do different things. I am hoping I will get a shot at a steelhead, although I am also aware that I will probably fail at catching one. It being the fish of a 1000 casts I think I will fall short with my limited time there :D
But, never the less I am going to try!
I do have a thing for bass too. I fish for LMB down here in the lakes and they are pretty fun to target I must say, with the massive takes, my adrenaline pumps every time.
If you guys are up for it and local I am up for meeting up and doing some stalking as well as work permits. It will most likely be in the afternoons and Sundays.

I can vouch for Artin as I too am a member at FFA's. Artin, welcome. Take a look at the Putah Creek below Lake Berryessa

Thanks for the vouch I appreciate it. It's also awesome that there is a fellow FFA member here. Makes me feel more at home!
Do they still mark the reds with that fluorescent tape like they did in the past on Putah? I thought that it was such an awesome way of protecting it. There was no way to miss the reds!

Once again I thank you an am very grateful of the information you've shared with me!

Charlie, please check your pm's

Thanks again,

Artin