PDA

View Full Version : Go-Pro's ?

Tony Buzolich
10-01-2012, 06:57 AM
With all these zillion Youtube videos popping up about everything and anything, are most of these being made with these Go Pro cameras? Seems like they're everywhere.

I'm curious about the operation of the Go Pro as to focus, depth of field, and run time or off and on.

Do you just download these things then to your computor and then edit and add sound?

No, I'm not planning on going into the movie business. I just want to know how they operate??????
Tony

Rockman
10-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Hey Tony,
Photograpy is something I love, close to flyfishing. I see lots of Go Pro's being used. I think they shoot great quality video. I am 55 years young in spirit, but my eyes are going on 56 years old. I have difficulty reading the screen when I'm out in the light. My camera is a second generation GoPro, I think they have a newer model out. I don't find the camera easy to use when I first turn it on and have to press buttons, sqiint, find my magnifyers to see the screen and get filming. When the camera shuts down, mine goes back to a default that is not video. When I have it on my chest, I have to turn it upside down to see the screen to get it into the video mode. I wish I could just turn it on and start filming like after i get hooked up. I hope if I am just doing something wrong and someone is reading this could give me the info on how to do this. I plan on getting the back pak so I can review stuff also.
I do like the GoPro, I would love it if it were easier to use. Not sure what changes have been made on any of the newer GoPro cameras, but for fishing I still find it a bit cumberson to use.
I do still recommend it to my friends.

Just my 2 cents.

Will

Tony Buzolich
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks Will. You just answered a couple of questions I had.

I also just went to Youtube and saw a demo of how to use this little machine.

Pretty incredible toy. Wish I'd bought stock in the company before this.

Tony

Darian
10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
hi Tony,.... I have one but found that I forget to use it when I'm out fishing. It's not difficult to set-up but you should do it before going out on the water. Otherwise, it is a inconvenient.

Jay Murakoshi uses one (a power user) and may be able to help with answers to questions....

RobK.
10-16-2012, 10:51 PM
i bought a go-pro but found it harder to use than my Kodak Playsport , I guess i am so use to this camera , it so easy to use . Only water proof to 6' .i think its 6' feet . anyway another option . stills are so so , but i got it for the videos .

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/07/kodaks-playsport-video-camera-water-proof/

this was taken with the Kodak , along with most of my videos on You Tube . taken at 720p HD . so check quality setting on youtube for best results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCohFFs2S8&list=UURYBDYZZ4Zr7EYLOgGSsuQQ&index=8&feature=plcp

this was hand held , while driving my Yamaha big bear 4x4 here in N.Utah . so a mount like the gopro's have would have been nice here .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJXN12189A&list=UURYBDYZZ4Zr7EYLOgGSsuQQ&index=12&feature=plcp

Scott V
10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Tony, since your post Go-Pro has come out with a new camera. There is nothing to operating one, you turn it on and hit the record button. No zoom, no settings, just point and shoot. At least that is how mine works.

aaron
10-17-2012, 03:51 PM
New GoPro 3's will start shipping in the next few weeks, we have hero 2's on sale for $225

Jay Murakoshi
10-18-2012, 07:12 AM
I've been using a GoPro around 5 or 6 years.. I have them from the first generation up to the latest but not the newest Hero2 HD. GoPro has come from a small company to a huge company in just a few years. You see them everywhere but mainly in the racing sector, the sky diving area and the surfing shots. I've tried submitting some video but I guess they just aren't into fishing, yet. Just wait until I catch the inside of a dorado mouth swimming away with the camera. This has happened once. A dorado came up and ate the camera right off my extension stick, no I didn't have a lanyard hooked to the camera..
Let's see if I can answer some of the questions

No, they have a fixed focal length, great depth of field, run time depends on what settings you are filming at. I use 720 @30fps.

When you turn the camera on give the lower button a quick push, it should go into video mode.. With the new Hero2HD, you can shoot a single frame at 10fps in 1 second. Great for capturing a jumping fish, if you're quick enough

Rockman, set your camera to the video default. You must of changed it one time when you were turning it on or did some other options. Most if not all cameras are set at the factory for video. What model do you have the one that uses AAA batteries.
I down load to my Mac with a card reader and edit in music. They do have sound and you can use the open frame to capture the sound. The Hero2HD has a option to use an external mic. I mount this camera to a "L" bracket and then mount a RODE mic to the top, plug it in to the camera. I can also use a wireless mic.

Here's a photo of the RODE mic mounted, well I thought I had a photo but must of deleted it.

I have 4 Hero2HD and one oldy but goody. All my under water shots in baja and soon to be released underwater trout shots were done with the new GoPro UnderWater housing.
Prior to that, I was using a couple "gray market" housing put out by the call called eyeofmine. They have alot of accessories for the GoPro's

If anyone needs help, give me a jingle

Jay