PDA

View Full Version : Simms has the best designed compact wading staff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I used mine yesterday while wading the Lower American River for Half-pounder Steelhead.

I did not use it right away but had it on my wading belt. I soon found myself in deeper, faster water in the AM in low light so I was able to pull it out of it's belt holster, deploy it............what a well thought out product.

This staff has been our best selling high quality folding staff for a while now and iot has been redesigned/upgraded several times now.

If comes down into 4 sections for storage in the neprene holster that you can attach to your wading belt so you always have it with you.

It has a Hammerhead saltwater proof cable retractor too.

http://flyshop.kiene.com/simmswadingstaff.aspx

golfish
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Normally wouldn't post anything negative but I hope they improved the design. I had an early one that broke at the worst time and I ate some rocks because of it on the Pit. I think they had a recall on the early ones. Mine is just sitting in the garage, no more collapsible for me, I use a Hart's River Stalker. Has stood up to the tough wading and hiking of Pit5 for several seasons now.

EricO
10-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Wholeheartedly agree Golfish.

Hart's River Stalker staff is awesome! I just bought my second one. First one
lasted a good 5-6 years minimum. Beat the living crap out of it. Its sturdy
as can be and it floats. The bungee attachment is solid. It's saved my butt a
number of times.

Funny story, I was fishing the Pit this March and ran into a guide and his clients.
The guy asks me, "how do you like that staff?" I said it's "awesome". He says,
"Great to hear, I designed it". Ron Hart himself.

EO

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Normally wouldn't post anything negative but I hope they improved the design. I had an early one that broke at the worst time and I ate some rocks because of it on the Pit. I think they had a recall on the early ones. Mine is just sitting in the garage, no more collapsible for me, I use a Hart's River Stalker. Has stood up to the tough wading and hiking of Pit5 for several seasons now.

It has been redesigned/updated about 4 times now over the years and we don't get any back now.

Folding down in 1/4 the length and being compact is the only thing they have over most every other rigid staff.

roywest
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I purchased a Simms staff about 2 years ago - it must be the current or almost current model - and only used it two or three times, very lightly.

This August I had it with me and used it a little when exploring the Middle Fork Feather on a solo camping trip -- figured I should take a little extra care on my own. I leaned into it once or twice while negotiating slick rocks -- glad I had it with me.

At the end of my day I tried to fold it up before a longish hike out of the canyon: top piece wouldn't slide up and then the rubber handle came right off when I pushed. Had to kind of force things to fold it up, rather than abandon it.

My local shop sent it back to Simms and I'm waiting to hear what they say -- I'll confess I'm not terribly optimistic but will report back.

Adam Grace
10-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I've had that same Simms wading staff for many years now and I haven't had any problems. I bought one for my 60 year old father since his footing isn't the same anymore and he loves how it is easy to pack around and deploy when he needs it.

I'm surprised that you guys have had problems with your own.

For me I only really use the staff in "sketchy" wading situations so I love the compact size.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-04-2012, 09:09 AM
The latest generation models are stainless steel shafts so you can tell by that.

http://flyshop.kiene.com/simmswadingstaff.aspx

We have not found any folding staff that is better.

We sell lots of them so the failure rate can't be much because we would be getting them back.

We did have trouble with the first few generations.....

golfish
10-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Good to hear they keep improving it, Simms is a great company. Maybe I should send mine in and see if they will give me a replacement. Compact size would be good for backup.

Adam Grace
10-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I've had that same Simms wading staff for many years now and I haven't had any problems. I bought one for my 60 year old father since his footing isn't the same anymore and he loves how it is easy to pack around and deploy when he needs it.

I'm surprised that you guys have had problems with your own.

For me I only really use the staff in "sketchy" wading situations so I love the compact size.

roywest
10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
I described my experience with my staff bending and then the handle pulling off, above, and my pessimism about what Simms would say.

Well, as promised, my report back: They warrantied it without question.

Good on you, Simms.

booneshaya
10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
I've used this wading staff for over 4 years. Since I have a bad back, I rely on my wading staff constantly to keep me from slipping and screwing up my back even worse. Even on the Pit!! Last year, I broke it (my fault) and Simms replaced it, no questions asked. Kinda pricey but it's still cheaper than a visit to the doctor. I highly recommend it!!!

GreggW
10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Bill, or anyone else, have you had any experience with the Orvis Ripcord Wading staff that uses nonstretch cord instead of wire inside? It is even more pricy than Simms but was wondering if it was worth it.