PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis Rant...

FRSam
09-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I just got back from fishing Davis...I don't normally fish weekends particularly Saturdays but the fishing Thursday was pretty good and I couldn't get out Friday so I thought what the hell I'll give it a try.

I put in and headed over to Eagle Point thinking everybody is probably headed up to the north end of the lake. I get to Eagle and I've got it to myself and I'm into fish, fishing from the boat just off shore. Not too much later I see this boat heading into the cove with two older gentlemen trolling. I think to myself they'll head around me, hell I'm fishing 25 ft off shore to working fish. WRONG...these two guys troll right through the middle the water I'm fishing!!! I say what are you doing??? Can't you see I'm working this water??? He says sorry but this is always the route I take when trolling this cove.

I couldn't believe it...they were really two nice old guys...they just didn't know any better I guess. Remarkably just behind there boat 3 or 4 fish start working. And I'm on them right away. As I'm working these fish a guy in a fat cat tube FFing come around the point. And I think to myself alright a fly fisherman he'll certainly know better than to disturb the water I'm fishing...

Earlier I had heard three blood curtleing screams coming from the direction of the Eagle Point parking area. It sounded like a mountain lion under attack...this guy was over there putting in when this was going on so I thought I'd ask him about it when he saw me...you know keeping his distance so as not to disrupt my water and saying hello.

NOPE...this guy just heads down the shore line trolling an indicator the size of a ping pong ball behind him. He turned around and saw me but that didn't slow him down bit...right through the middle of the water I was fishing...not even a how ya doing...

Fed up I decided to head up to the north end of the lake when I got to the island and saw about eight boats trolling around it. My first thought was the Camp Five parking lot must be packed...it's the only boat ramp open right now on the lake. And getting out on that single lane road pulling a boat could be a real nightmare.

It was 10:00am and I decided to call it a day. I'd gotten into some nice fish and didn't want to deal with any more of these idiots. When I pulled out the Camp Five parking lot was just about full and I'm glad I got out of there early as it's going to be a zoo when people start taking out.

End of rant...sorry just needed to get it off my chest. I realize i'm preaching to the quire but if anyone out there reading this is one of those inconsiderate fisherman...KARMA is going to get you!!!

Pete

atavuss
09-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I feel your pain, sometimes I wonder if people take stupid pills before they go fishing. It is amazing how idiotic and clueless some people can be when on the water. I have had people troll in front of me causing me to veer off my intended course, they run right on top of my gear that I am trolling and break off expensive lures. It seems the only thing that would work is for me to stand up in the boat and yell at them "WTF are you doing?!". Anyway, I sold my boat several weeks ago and will from now on use my kayak at isolated lakes with hopefully no one else around. :rolleyes:

Woodman
09-29-2012, 06:14 PM
I had a guy troll about 15 feet from my tube once at Lake Almanor. Unfortunately, I accidentally cast across his lines and snagged him and then accidentally cut his line with my nippers as I was freeing it.

It seemed like a good idea to kick to shore at that point

David Lee
09-29-2012, 07:00 PM
That sucks , Pete .

Best one ever - Ed Wahl and I are tubing Folsom one Spring years ago , hike a ways to get in , kick a fair distance to a NO FAIL spot ....

I kid you not - dude on a jetski comes right at us from across the lake . cuts the motor maybe 15 yards away and actually glides up between us (we are perhaps 30 feet apart) .

Dude says "Hey ! Any luck ??"

I thought Eds' Head was gonna explode .

D.~

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-29-2012, 07:20 PM
About 50 years ago when we had big salmon runs every fall we would go to the mouth of the American River.

Most everyone was trolling or casting from the bank.

Salmon were rolling everywhere and lots of fish were hooked at one time.

When I was a kid most people had an aluminum boat on a trailer in their driveway because in those days it wasn't fishing, it was catching, even if you had very little skill.

People did the craziest things down there.

They regularly had fist fights at the mouth of the American River during salmon season....

FRSam
09-30-2012, 05:27 PM
If you've been fishing long enough you've had this kind of run in and probably more than one or two. I know I have...the boat ramp is another spot where these things seem to happen on a somewhat regular basis.

I had just finished a long day of fishing, tied up at the pier and on my way up to my rig I ran into one of the local guides. We started talking about the days fishing and this guy is a talker...I didn't see anyone trying to put in as it was the end of the day so we started comparing notes.

Next thing I know I see these two guys pull into the ramp area with an old beat up center consul 17 ft boat. I'm thinking to myself well okay there's two guys one to handle the boat from the pier as they back in and my whaler is tied to the very end of the pier so there shouldn't be a problem...right.

As I'm talking to the guide I'm keeping an eye on these guys as they back in...the next thing I know one guy is in the boat as the other backs in at a pretty good clip...their boat slides off the trailer and is headed straight for my boat! Bamm, it hits my boat with their motor right in the nose.

I ran down and gave them hell...I didn't hold much back as I was really pissed. He said he was sorry, he didn't think it would do that...

So I've learned my lesson...never assume another person is going to do the right thing because the odds are stacked against you!

Pete

JAWallace
09-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Two of us were dark side salmon fishing today around Freeport. We were the only boat that ever slowed down when going by someone either anchored or drifting. One group waived, the rest probably thought we had motor trouble!

Still, consideration and courtesy can catch on. When I'm float fishing and kayakers come through my territory I often remind them of expected courtesies. Maybe a third had no idea and seemed to get it. The others just want to argue. Screw them, but let it go.

cyama
09-30-2012, 06:45 PM
A group of us fished Davis for the first time this weekend. We had some pretty good fishing. We put in around 10 at camp 5. We were pretty slow to get going. Anyways the fishing around 11-2 was really good ! The callibaetis hatch was thick between Camp 5 and Jenkins. One in our group landed 32 fish on a hare's ear and an odd colored bugger. We fished mosquito this morning and had a ton of fun as well. Sorry to hear about the idiots. Everyone we talked to and met was really nice and helpful!!

DennisV
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
And then there's the guy who'll drive his excellent uplifting fishing report right through the very spot where the Rant Hatch is coming off.

Oh, the nerve of some people . . . ;)

FRSam
10-01-2012, 08:17 AM
A group of us fished Davis for the first time this weekend. We had some pretty good fishing. We put in around 10 at camp 5. We were pretty slow to get going. Anyways the fishing around 11-2 was really good ! The callibaetis hatch was thick between Camp 5 and Jenkins. One in our group landed 32 fish on a hare's ear and an odd colored bugger. We fished mosquito this morning and had a ton of fun as well. Sorry to hear about the idiots. Everyone we talked to and met was really nice and helpful!!

Fortunately what I ran into is the exception...most of the time the people I run into are nice and I enjoy talking with them.

And yes the fishing has been good. The takes have been bone jarring grabs and I've had several break water with aerial displays that really get the old heart pumping. With the flat water there have been plenty of targets so instead of just fishing water your fishing to individual fish which is by far my favorite kind of fishing.

It's interesting that the full moon hasn't seemed to put the fishing off. Now if we can just get the snails back, I miss those crunchy bellies we were all so used to this time of the year.

Pete

wineslob
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Davis is what happens when a lake is loved to death. I had the same problems at Butt Valley back before the dam was rebuilt. Nothing new.
I prefer trolling the high country lakes (Grouse Ridge/Desolation), plus the ladies like to sun bathe.............sans clothing.

:-)

catch&release
10-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Crowley has to be the worst stillwater environment by far. Started fishing early in the grey light a few years back in a small cove along green banks. No one had fished this area inside the bay for the first day I fished it. 2nd day had about 10 float tubes trying to fish in this small area. 3rd day couldn't even cast because they packed in so tight, 40 feet away from me. It didn't matter, I was catching fish a very good pace with a blood worm 2" off the bottom. As I was releasing a fish out of my net with my head down, a guy came over and dropped anchor in the same small spot I was casting too. RIGHT ON TOP OF THE SMALL TEN FOOT AREA I CONTINUED TO CATCH FISH AT. I said are you serious, are you so freaking brain dead that you have to park on my casting spot. It would be so much better if you just casted into the same spot I was fishing and maybe we could just untangle our lines once in a while. As I was telling this guy off, A BOAT CAME FROM THE SHORE AND RAMMED MY FLOAT TUBE FROM BEHIND AND ALMOST GAVE ME WHIPLASH. I said are you freaking serious, how the hell can you run into the back of my float tube and not see me. I pushed his boat away as hard as I could and said don't let me get in you way and he just laughed and motored away.

JUST ANOTHER DAY AT CROWLEY!

RenoLipRipper
10-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Crowley can be a bit of a joke. Haven't had those types of encounters, but I try to stay away from others and give a wide birth. However, I have been buzzed pretty close by Tom Loe, owner of Sierra Drifters. Some of the other tubers he was closer to, were saying that his passes were on the aggressive side. I have been guided by two of his long time guides, Doug (two bug) and Phil about 5 years ago. Good guys just doing there job. As they told me it is more entertainment then anything else.

David Lee
10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
A BOAT CAME FROM THE SHORE AND RAMMED MY FLOAT TUBE FROM BEHIND AND ALMOST GAVE ME WHIPLASH. I said are you freaking serious, how the hell can you run into the back of my float tube and not see me. I pushed his boat away as hard as I could and said don't let me get in you way and he just laughed and motored away.

That should have been followed by a boarding party and THE ass-beating of the century ! Most of the offending crap I've seen pales next to this ....

D.~

RenoLipRipper
10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Agreed, can't believe that one. That is beyond anything I have ever heard of or seen. Ass kickin then lake cops.

wineslob
10-03-2012, 10:38 AM
C&R I've had the same thing done to me by........................fly fishermen.

In a small lake that prefer to fish from shore (fun "sight" fishing), several guys were in tubes. No matter where I went, if I hooked fish, they would paddle over and cast into the area in front of me. I kept trying to "stay away" from them but no go. :mad:

Larry S
10-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Ernie,
We make 6 or 7 trips a "summer" to Crowdly and almost always observe some
"interesting" behavior. By far the worst this summer were the wake boarders
and their loud stereos and other classless behavior. Can always count on some
issues with other folks fishing. Some fly guys are no exception.
Going to try it again next week. We hear that the draw down is essentially
over.
Best,
Larry S

catch&release
10-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Larry,

The drawn down has finally stopped. About the same water coming in as going out right now. Fish are very scattered out, some days you do great, next day you cant find very many. I think we will have one more decent run of fish in the North Arm before closing. I would strip out in deeper water towards 6 bays and Sandy Point. Fishing along 6 bays from the shore is doing well.

As the water starts to cool fish will move into Leighton Springs and also back to Sandy point.

Hope you have a great trip!

Ernie

catch&release
10-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Agreed, can't believe that one. That is beyond anything I have ever heard of or seen. Ass kickin then lake cops.

I hear what your saying, I have to be careful about controlling myself and my temper being a guide at that lake and trying not to be the one that looks like the ......... but I wanted to drawn or hold the guys head underwater for at least little while.

Larry S
10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Ernie. Snow flurries predicted for the first of the week. Let's hope this bodes for
a much needed wet winter.
Best,
Larry S

jrief
10-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I spent Wednesday afternoon and Thursday a.m. at Davis and had a great time. Ran into four very nice fly fisherman in tubes who were calling it quits after a stellar morning with everyone catching. They suggested size sixteen birds nest so who am I to argue. Kicked out about 100 yards with my int med line back about 50ft. I stopped to organize my stuff and get a vicious hit from a nineteen incher. Guess I was fishing too fast. It was the kind of fish that makes your drag scream and your adrenalin spike. I hadn't experienced this on Davis in more than ten years. That one fish made the 3 hour drive worth it. It was a clean strong healthy fish. I caught four more wed. before I gave into to the wind. Only one had parasites.

Thursday a.m. bright and early, same set up, calm waters lots of fish feeding just below the surface. Ended up with five to the boat and lost another three. Nothing under 16 inches and fat. Don't bother with anything less than a 4x tippet or a five weight. Get out there early before the wind comes up cause the best action is over before 11a.m. Sorry no pics. I get way too amped bringing the fish in and trying to get them back in quickly. The good news is this fishery is coming back.

fishsticker78
10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Just about about a month ago (actually 9/1) I was evening dove hunting some BLM along the lower Sac. There was a nice North River backtrolling flatfish in a run adjacent to me. Upstream of the salmon fisherman, there was a junky old bluffer boat just floating down with the current dragging bait and casting spinners. They were obviously doing some drinking and making lots of noise. I kept my eye on the fisherman as it was a bit early for good dove hunting. I was watching the upstream boat as they kept getting closer and closer to the salmon fisherman. They were getting way too close for comfort and I thought that they must be broke down. Next thing you know, there drifting right into the salmon fisherman, they guy on the bluffer boat sticks his hands and and pushes off the North River and as they drift around and float right through their lines off the back. The salmon fisherman are thinking what I am and say, "WTF, are you broke down or something?" The people in the bluffer boat say, "no, this is our river too!" I thought to myself, oh its on! And it was. For a while, the salmon fisherman played it cool and didn't do anything until the bluffer boat was well downstream, I was thinking these guys have alot of patience. But just as you least expected, they fired up their boat, drove downstream and did about 3 donuts around the bluffer boat and damn near capsized it. A bunch of F bombs later, the salmon fisherman were on there way to fish another spot. It could have been alot worse.

GoldenStone
10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
So what? No more snails in Davis? What happened?

FRSam
10-08-2012, 08:55 AM
So what? No more snails in Davis? What happened?

No one has an answer...what comes up most frequently is the last treatment for pike. Personally I'm not sure as after the first treatment the snails survived. I think it may have something to do with the number of crayfish in the lake which seems to be at an all time high. They're voracious feeders and I can't help but feel they had a lot to do with the disappearance of the snails.

I kept a tank for a while made up entirely of Lake Davis bugs / nymphs and I included snails...one day I took a small craw dad and decided to include him in my tank. The next morning when I checked the tank he'd completely cleaned it out...I mean completely!

Hopefully we'll see the snails make a reappearance in the near future but mean while the trout are dinning on the crayfish and probably improving the flavor of the trout you keep for the pan.

Pete