PDA

View Full Version : Bardees Bar history?

wineslob
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I've been fishing the North Fork of the Feather for nearly 25 years, and went up to the Bar this past weekend. I probably haven't fished a particular section above Bardees for nearly 20 years. As Bill was saying, "fall is a great time to go fishing". The flow was perfect, and the "Bows" were all too happy to smack the crap out of a black stone fly. I actually had three fish break off 5X tippet! I landed a few fish in the 10" range and two that were 16". They all sported fall colors. Beautiful fish.

It was a great day, to say the least.

Now on to the question. The area down at the bar has several concrete pads, and, of course, there's the bridge that crosses the river. The bridge has been damaged by fire and has been closed off for years. On the other side of the river is the SP RR that runs through the Feather River Canyon. The bridge leads to an old road, RR tunnel, graveled wide spots along the RR and a "bunker" that goes into the side of the mountain. I've tried to Google the history of the area, but no luck. Just stuff about Pulga and the hippies living there.

I'm curious about the area and what was going on there. Anyone have some insight? My best guess is it was a construction area back when the RR was being built.

Pic of the bridge in question. The "road" leads off to the right and up to the RR. On the left is the area with the concrete pads. which is where I parked.

http://bridgehunter.com/photos/15/72/157233-L.jpg

ycflyfisher
09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
I wouldn’t bet any significant amount of money that what I’m about to tell you is accurate. Abandoned infrastructure is always fascinating to me. I’ve been to Bardees once about 12 years ago. I’m don’t think any of the remnants of infrastructure at Bardees (including the bridge) have anything to do with the SP/UP or any spur rail operation or construction. I think what you are referring to as the “bunker” is the remnants of what I believe was a jacking and/or extraction point for a large diameter tunnel that was constructed via some trenchless excavation method.

I’m guessing PG&E. And that’s just a guess.

EricO
09-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Love those NF Feather fish Wineslob.

I had 3 fish in a row break me off a couple months ago...4x! But I honestly
think is was bad tippet.

Nice report....I haven't been down there in ages.

EO

wineslob
09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
I wouldn’t bet any significant amount of money that what I’m about to tell you is accurate. Abandoned infrastructure is always fascinating to me. I’ve been to Bardees once about 12 years ago. I’m don’t think any of the remnants of infrastructure at Bardees (including the bridge) have anything to do with the SP/UP or any spur rail operation or construction. I think what you are referring to as the “bunker” is the remnants of what I believe was a jacking and/or extraction point for a large diameter tunnel that was constructed via some trenchless excavation method.

I’m guessing PG&E. And that’s just a guess.

I think you might be right. I forgot about the tunnel for Poe PH. It's probably an access. Once I was at the entrance of the "bunker", but I didn't have a flashlight. Clapping my hands and timing the echo told me it's about 100+ feet long.

Love those NF Feather fish Wineslob.

I had 3 fish in a row break me off a couple months ago...4x! But I honestly
think is was bad tippet.

Nice report....I haven't been down there in ages.

I've seen quite a few fish (and had them on) that were completely uncontrollable on my 4wt. My best guess would be that they were in the 5lb range. Man they had "backs" on em.

The first one I lost made me change up tippet. I was using Climax but I've found that the Cortland Fairplay tippet is better/stronger (IMO). The big plus is it's $1.95 at Wally World.
Still had two break me off.

It was awesome. :-D

EricO
09-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Oh I wholeheartedly agree WS....the fight in those fish is awesome.

And it's interesting, I rarely catch dinks in the NF. Most of the fish are a
good 14-16". I usually catch a few 12" every outing, but the majority have
"shoulders" as you say.

You know a real bummer? I grew up in Chico and started fishing in college
back in the 80s. I NEVER knew, (or bothered to research I guess) the NF.

I was a gear guy back then and primarily fished Deer creek and the Butte
Meadows area. Major DUH on my part!!! To think of the big boys I missed
out on! Dang it!

Thanks for the report.

Eric

wineslob
09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
EO, I started fishing the NFF in 1987. Boca Grande ( :D ) had mentioned (I lived in Sac) that the NFF had one of the highest lbs per mile of fish in the US when I was in the shop one time. I made a trip up to the section near the Poe Power Dam. :eek:

Haven't stopped fishing it since, even as rough as some sections are. I'm still sore.

dpentoney
10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
I grew up fishing with a friend of my Dad's who lived in a CCC camp on the Feather during the depression. He used to talk about one of his duties being to keep the camp in fish to eat, and that the NFF was full of three pound rainbows.