PDA

View Full Version : Swinging flies in October for Steelhead

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
There is a time that swinging flies is very effective for Steelhead.

This is early and late in the day with low light levels in the fall before the water gets too cold.

Any time the sun is not on the water can be very good for Steelhead on the swing.

In mid-day with the sun on the water I would go to a sinktip line or to the indicator system.

With salmon spawning it is not too good so you can go down river or swing an egg imitation or go to the egg/nymph indicator method.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

So what I am getting at is in October in Nor Cal and Oregon why don't you try swinging a black #6 fly on a floating line the first hour and last hour of the day, then in the day time go to the indicator method.

*After you hook a good fish on the swing you will find yourself doing that more and indicator fishing less.

**October on the Klamath River is the best place I know to catch Steelhead on the swing because there are lots more small and medium size active fish there.

***If you live near one of the valley rivers here in Nor Cal you can learn to swing flies there in the fall for smaller Steelhead too.