PDA

View Full Version : October 11 -16 what to do?

fluvial
09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Usually head for Washington, but my fishing accomplice moved to Idaho to fish the Wood River out his back door... Lovely wife gave me and the dog Oct. 11-16 to steelhead. Have a raft, love multiple day trips camping out of said raft. Steelhead fly and raft camping rate just about equal... Where do we go, exactly, for best op's for chrome camping and rafting during that time period? Bay Area heading north and thinking not going as far as Washington to save drive time. Anywhere in between. Thanks! Fluvial.:question:

Jed Peters
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Klamath, trinity, rogue, deschutes, John day, ronde, Clearwater, sandy, or coquille.

Those are good options. ;)

Steelie-Stalker
09-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Deschutes would be my 1st choice

fluvial
09-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Ronde is the norm for the fall 9-dayer, but narrowed it down to the Rogue or Deschutes due to October 11-16 constraint. Will drive like a madman and can get in close to 4 full days drifting - given several requirements: raft camping, multi-day, likelihood of steelhead presence, natural beauty and preference for swinging - is there a section on either of these 2 rivers I should visit with Gretchen the dog? She loves steelheading, and we have not fished either of these rivers enough to target anything specific.
Thanks. It's all good!

Larry S
09-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Aaron S posted a link to info for drifting the Trinity; much of it anyway. Also listed
camping spots, etc. I'll see if I can't do an archive search for it. Trinity has returned to normal flows now.
Best,
Larry S

Larry S
09-27-2012, 07:59 AM
My bad! Posted by eDub. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib//blm/ca/pdf/redding.Par.75e80a57.File.pdf/TrinityRiverboatinginfosheet.pdf

Best,
Larry S

SanFranFlyFish
10-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Just got back from RedShed Clearwater Spey Clave. The steelhead are somewhere, but most anglers weren't seeing or catching them.

fluvial
10-07-2012, 08:42 AM
KLAMATH IT IS! Thanks for the help, everyone. Leaving Wednesday night and getting on the water Thursday... PM me if you have any suggestion as to which sort of 50-mile section I should be heading to. Not looking for your favorite spot, just a section that might be best for swinging flies this coming next weekend. Thanks! Fluvial

Rick J
10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
I have heard the lower Klamath mouth is closed off and few fish in the lower river so fish upper stretches

Big Jim
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Fluvial.
did you find a section of the K that meets all your criteria? I.E., multiday, camping, probability of SH presence, and swingwater? If so, clue me in... I am planing a similar trip a week later and have been looking around at the Trin, etc. I have done a bunch of floats on the K so let me know if you want some feedback on where you are heading... I haven't done an overnight there yet though...

I have done several overnights on the deschutes if you ever want info on that.

Have a great trip.

jim

shawn kempkes
10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Fluvial.
did you find a section of the K that meets all your criteria? I.E., multiday, camping, probability of SH presence, and swingwater? If so, clue me in... I am planing a similar trip a week later and have been looking around at the Trin, etc. I have done a bunch of floats on the K so let me know if you want some feedback on where you are heading... I haven't done an overnight there yet though...

I have done several overnights on the deschutes if you ever want info on that.

Have a great trip.

jim
Get the streamtime map for the klamath. I like the campground at Dillon creek http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacficsw/klamcmp.htm
Theres water upstream and downstream of the campground plus theres literally miles of river to fish from the road. Check out Ice cream riffle, green and peacock and the list goes on and on. You dont need a boat but a 4 wheel drive is a plus but not mandatory.