PDA

View Full Version : ICR Report 9-23-12

JAWallace
09-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I fished Indian Creek Reservoir Sunday 9/23 from 8am - 10am when the wind hit 15 and I opted out of the pretty miserable conditions. In that two hour period I got three--all 8" Cutthroats. I met up with two other fly fishermen who had been out since dawn and had the same results. They said the bank fishermen had nothing and there were no reports of any decent fish caught recently.

This past week, I learned from Alpine Chamber of Commerce that they are no longer stocking ICR. This has been a two plus decade program, and the Chamber stocking program with trophy trout is what made ICR a great trophy lake. I confirmed this policy with Carson River Resort--Todd is on the Chamber Board. We can assume that the confirmed DFG unpublished stocking last week consisted of 8" sub-catchable Cuts.

I fished Woods Lake afterwards and ended up with two Rainbows--both 8".

For me, it was very sad because that has been my favorite somewhat local lake for over 20 years. Unless the Chamber changes its revised policy, I think ICR is effectively a non-starter from now on.

John

DennisV
09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Not good.

I was up there about 4 weeks ago and with much effort, pulled a couple of decent rainbows. They were plugged with daphnia which explains the slow bite.

It's hard to believe that are not stocking ICR when down the road they're dumping a large amount of fish, big and small into the East Carson. It just doesn't make sense, unless they think that they are going to "restore" the Lahontans into an artificial impoundment that probably didn't ever have them to begin with.

DFG needs to explain this.

RenoLipRipper
09-26-2012, 04:19 PM
That is to bad if it is true.

Was there today, and the fishing was good.

DennisV
09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Well that's good to hear.

Did you get a reading of the water temp?

RenoLipRipper
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
61, 62 mid day

atavuss
09-29-2012, 06:19 PM
There should still be some big holdovers hiding in that lake. How are the weeds and algae?

RenoLipRipper
10-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Algae not much of a problem. Weeds are there, but you can get around them. Shallow end of lake very weedy, campground had some also. Scanned alot of fish in them.