PDA

View Full Version : salmon on the swing.

Smitty Fish
09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Had the day off today. Thought I would go fishing and go by Kiene's today, to get stocked up for 3 days in mammoth. Stoped by the A.R. and hooked & landed this jack salmon . My first one on a fly!. Was trying for half pounders, but caught this jack instead .:-D PS, picture is just a little out of focuse.

Barnett
09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Nice catch! I take it the holding water was similar to that for half-pounders? What fly?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2012, 07:27 AM
That is pretty cool...fresh looking fish. Must have put up a pretty good fight.......

When we have big runs on the Lower American River you can catch salmon on flies.

Oct/Nov is the timing for the big run on the American River......a little later than the Sacramento and Feather River.

Smitty Fish
09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Nice catch! I take it the holding water was similar to that for half-pounders? What fly?
Yes same type of water. Used a tan soft hackle.

Smitty Fish
09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
That is pretty cool...fresh looking fish. Must have put up a pretty good fight.......

When we have big runs on the Lower American River you can catch salmon on flies.

Oct/Nov is the timing for the big run on the American River......a little later than the Sacramento and Feather River.

Used a 12 ft 6 wt. It did put up a good fight. Strong fish.

Mark Kranhold
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Nice going Smitt, been wonder of I'm going to run into out there? Lost a nice one last night. I have been doing better on my go to streamer than soft hackles this year. See you out there.