PDA

View Full Version : Rod Rebuild

BillB
09-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I am rebuilding a rod I built for my brother-in-law 20 years ago. A little rust began to appear at the foot of some guides. Darn lifetime warranties! I have two concerns. Where I take off the old Flex Coat can I sand (400 wd/steel wool?) to smooth out rod? Following the prep can I use Flex Coat wiped on with a lint free cloth or other similar applicator in a very thin coat? Haven't wrapped a rod in a while hope it goes well.

Slice
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Ive found the flex coat, or other epoxy finish, never comes off very cleanly and I therefore wrap the new guide a little further than it used to be to cover up the old epoxy finish.

I'm kinda not sure what you are getting to by asking if you can apply a thin coat. But if you mean you want to sand past where the wrap will go and apply a thin coat of epoxy finish so that it just looks like part of the blank, then probably not. I dont think you can match the blank.

I have repaired a few and built a few and found building them to be easier.

Check out rodbuildingforum.com there is a bunch of info on rod repair and a bunch of people with a bunch more experience than me.

Jim

590Mike
09-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I'd give Larry Lee at L3 rods a call.

BillB
09-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Going to give LumiSeal a try. Have a couple of coats on the blank. Looks pretty good so far.