PDA

View Full Version : Headed to the Rogue

JasonB
09-18-2012, 09:36 AM
After a successful trip in Alaska catching Silvers and Steelhead, I have to say I've become addicted (steelhead esp :D ). Good fortune has smiled and my wife and I have scored a permit to float the wild section of the Rogue river at the end of the month and I can hardly wait. This will be our 10 year anniversary trip, and is a river we both have a lot of history with. We've both floated that stretch countless times, but this will be a first for us to get to fish it. I'm looking for any recommendations that anyone might have for our trip. The big ones for me are:

a) Flies to tie? Patterns, color combos, size...
I think I have a pretty rough idea, but I am always eager to have new stuff to tie up.

b) any particular areas to focus on for fishing?
Since we have 4 nights for our trip with a short first and last day, we have the option to spend a lot of time in some areas of the trip but obviously not "all" of it. Wasn't sure if anyone had any areas that we should focus more time on, or any camp recommendations that put us on/near some good water?

Thanks for any and all tips you may have,
JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
In my nearly 5 decades in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento I have talked with many who have done that 4 day trip down through the wild canyon of the Rogue River and some who actually do it every year.

While staying at Morrison's Lodge in the fall I have seen groups of around 12 people come in for dinner and spend their first night there before taking off on that 4 day float trip.

I have taked with the guides at Morrison's Lodge about taking a group of 12 anglers on that 4 day trip down through the canyon.

It can be camping on he river or it can be in staying in a different lodge every night.

They recommended around the first of September for fishing that area for Steelhead.

They also said that day 3 and 4 had the best water for fly fishing.

I will do that group trip some day and will organize it through Morrison's Lodge even though they will coordinate it with other float services.

I would check with Terry Thomas at our fly shop about flies for the river.

http://www.morrisonslodge.com/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Here is a slide show from one of the outfitters that take people down through the wilderness canyon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N33KMrlQOc0

JasonB
09-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks Bill,
The slide show only added fuel to the fire; I'm so stoked to go! I'm surprised that fishing that river over such a time you've not yet made a trip down the wild section. Well worth taking some time to see that river; catching fish would only be a bonus to a fantastic trip in so many ways. VERY special place,
JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks Bill,
The slide show only added fuel to the fire; I'm so stoked to go! I'm surprised that fishing that river over such a time you've not yet made a trip down the wild section. Well worth taking some time to see that river; catching fish would only be a bonus to a fantastic trip in so many ways. VERY special place,
JB

Amen......