PDA

View Full Version : First Hatch report 9-16-12

Hatch
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Headed out to the Delta early this morning with friend, Baja client and Kiene's board member, Ed C (FastEddy). We headed to a rock wall that for the last few weeks at first light has had fish chasing bait and diving birds every morning. It did not disappoint. The fish are not huge, but they are eager and plenty. Ed and I had a blast watching and catching fish "ripp'n up the bait" all around us. We stayed in the area for an hour and took turns hooking fish from 1 to 4 #. We were throwing Rio OBS I lines with small AirHeads on 7 wts and Rio OB S6 on 8 wts and both were doing a good job. The sun hit the water and top water action turned off. We went for a boat ride while having a burrito and headed to another area that has been producing well for me and found fish on the graph. The fish were holding on the bottom in 12 to 16 feet of water so we switched over to the XI3 9wts and started "yank'n on em". Fun Fun. Once again the fish are all 5# or smaller, but by counting down and letting our Rio lines get to the bottom we were able to get some of the better ones and avoid the tons of "rats/dinks".

Took Ed back to the dock and picked up father and son Mike and Ryan B. The fishing for small stripers has been so good as of late that I called Mike earlier in the week and told him it would be a great time to get the kid "In" on the action. We headed to one of the bazillion Delta rock walls and started marking fish. We set up and 10 year old Ryan was into his first striper on his 6th or 7th strip. He was a happy kid and picked up on the game quickly. We moved around a bit and found some more schools, and I had a great time watching the dad-kid fun. The kid landed 15 small fish and the pair were "doubled up" 4 or 5 times and the grins were often. Young Ryan has attended one of Jeff Putnam's Kids' Clinics and has caught trout and LMB previous to this outing. But today we created another striper junkie. Welcome to the club, Ryan!!
HATCH

Darian
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Sounds like those were great trips!! Love the grins.... :D

FastEddy
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Had an awesome time!! Perfect weather, great company and lots of fish! Thanks HATCH!!

Charlie Gonzales
09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Way to go Maury!

Good to see you on the water.

Hatch
09-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks Charlie,
Good to see you out there also. It sure beats sling'n cheeze dogs !!
HATCH