PDA

View Full Version : The 'new' 3 piece fly rod was a big deal......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2012, 07:00 AM
For years we had mostly 2 piece fly rods in all sizes that we all fished with , even for travel.

Back then we had some 3, 4 and 5 pieces fiberglass rods for "back packing only" which were mostly heavy 'dogs' so no one used them for their every day rods.

In the 1980s we took long 5 foot white 6 inch PVC tubes with our favorite 2 piece graphite fly rods for going to distant exotic destinations. They had to be check with your luggage.

Then came the new graphite 3 piece fly rods which were a wonderful thing and widely accepted for travel and everyday fishing.

Seems like everyone went from 2 piece to 3 piece which would be much shorter and more convenent for travel.

That went along for some years with the 3 piece being the big deal for most situations.

Then came along the new light 4 piece fly rods that cast as well as the 2 piece.

Plus they could be taken apart in a 2 pc length and put into a 2 pc rod & reel case with the reel, line and fly on.

Until 9/11 we could actually take 3 pc and 4 pc rods on to the plane with us.

The 4 piece rods are now the standard, being most of the sales today in all sizes and price points.

Tony Buzolich
09-16-2012, 09:33 AM
I love three piece rods. Not necessarily for travel convenience, but for structural integrety of ferrels and piece sections. Ideally, a rod should only be ONE piece. With three section rods, there is ALWAYS a solid section over the mid-point of the entire length. Same with any odd number, but fewer parts mean fewer chances of a failure.

With even number piece rods, 2pc. 4pc, etc. there will ALWAYS be a ferrel (weak-link) at the mid-point.

Now, as for travel convenience, sure,,,, the greater number of pieces means a smaller travel package, but, it also means a greater number of weak links. I think I remember even seeing an Orvis travel rod in 7 or 9 pieces? Can you imagine how many chances of failure you'd have with one of these?

Traveling with three piece rods has never been a problem even as carry-on luggage. My old SAGE triangular tube @ 42" carries all the three AND four piece rods I need to travel anywhere.

Now, having said all of this, I can't seem to remember the last time I broke a rod at the ferrel. Most often it's been from high-sticking a fish or a ceiling fan:(

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2012, 02:48 PM
I too like the fact that the 3 piece rods don't have a ferrule in the middle.

Over 90% of the rods made today are 4 piece.

Hard to find a 2 or 3 piece rod anymore new.

Mike O
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Since 9/11, i have traveled with 2,4&6 piece rods. I usually fly southwest, they will check 2pc at the gate, they put them up front on the plane. The shorter rods fit into the OH racks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2012, 05:56 AM
We recommend checking with each airline as to what their policies are for traveling with fishing rods.

Some are even funny about flies.....

Dan LeCount
09-20-2012, 06:06 PM
I think my favorite stick is my 3 piece 7 weight RPLxi. Good for carp, bass, big trout streamers, whatever. I wish I had a boat on the delta with a bunch of 1 pieces ready to rock, cause they really do fish nicer and are tougher then multi piece.(although the fishing difference is pretty negligible) Until then Im stuck with 3 and 4 piecers in my truck. Oh yea, Alaska Airlines let me carry on my 2 piece 8 weight a week after 9/11, which left a warm feeling in my heart for them ever since.

jersey
09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Last winter I built a 4 weight rod for my father. He fishes small trout streams in NJ and that 3 piece performs well.

After the build, I wanted to use a heavier blank for a bass rod. It just hasn't happened yet. The three piece is quick and responsive. Definitely feels different for the right reasons. Wish there were more 3 piece options