PDA

View Full Version : Green River , Dutch John UT

Todd
09-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Fished the Green two weeks ago. Outstanding dry fly fishing, Our guide Patrick Krause / Green River Drifters was the best. He's old hand there and knew the river well....no we didn't use balloons. Pat can be reached at 801 243 1089, need to book early he is in high demand. Many guides put their clients on balloons with nymph droppers that run close to the bottom so they can catch 20-30 fish ????

The landscape is awesome, drift this river and you will understand why its called the Green River....beautiful

Fly Guy Dave
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Agreed! The Green is one of my favorite rivers. I've drifted it quite a few times with my pontoon. I also like catching the evening caddis hatch down at Little Hole. I often stay until it's almost totally dark and then chuck around a mouse pattern. I hooked into one a few years back that took me into the backing within seconds before it got off. What a rush! Still, I would've liked to have seen a least a glimpse of that monster. The Green really is a fun river for fly fishing.

JD
09-16-2012, 07:45 PM
What, you got a problem fishing with ballons? Pretty economical strike indicator/bobber in my opinion. More expensive than yarn, but certainly cheaper than any of the off the shelf solutions.

Of course, if you are a dry fly snob, carry on...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I think it is nice that there are guides out there who are teaching classic fly fishing techneques to their clients instead of just a steady diet of inicator fishing.

The best guides will show their clients several different styles of fly fishing throughout the day, if conditions allow for it.

I can see where a guide needs to get people into fish but after a dozen of so maybe they can ask their client if they would like to swing streamers or soft hackle or even try some dry fly fishing if the situation is right for it.

If our fisheries were not so damaged now indicator fishing would have never arrived and become so popular.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

For several decades (60s & 70s) I fly fished before the onset of the indicator.

We learned how to high stick, short line nymph fish because of the influence of Ted Fay and others in Nor Cal.

We learned how to match the hatch and tie the flies that worked from pioneers like Bob Quigley and Andy Puyans.

We learned how to swing flies for steelhead from the "Great Generation" and how to "Grease Line" for them from greats like Bill McMillan.

We learned how to top water fly fish for bass from great guys like Leo Guterres and Dave Whitlock.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

If we are not fly casting then I have no interest it it for myself.....

I promote classic fly fishing and fly casting to help keep that part of the sport alive.

I don't need to promote indicator fishing because enough people are already doing that in high numbers.

If this offends you then you might look at your motives. Is it about the experiance or is it about high numbers of fish per day?

For me it is all about fly casting, not just catching fish, so I only go to places at the right time of year and right time of day so I can fly fish mostly with a floating line.

Mark Kranhold
09-17-2012, 08:13 AM
The Green is a beautiful fishery. I fished there years ago, and one thing I found out is that the cutthroat in that river are as dumb as a box of rocks. There sure is some nice browns in there too. Amazing beauty tho!

mems
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/wyomingtrip108.jpg
Aloha, Luke and I love the Green. You can get them on dries, but we had the most fun getting them on wolly buggers. It is the type of fishing we do alot of here in Hawaii. Cast to structure, big rock or the bank, let it sink and then strip back. Great takes and you can get the fish in quickly. I think the Green is one of the most productive rivers to float fish out west. The upper Green around Pinedale is fun to wade fish. Lots of nice rainbows and some huge Browns in the "C" section. Mems.

JohnD
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Guess it depends on when you go and who you fish with. I was there a few years back in September and we fished big dries/hoppers all day and landed a LOT of fish. Think I had over 30 the first day.
Fished with the guys at Spinner Fall Guide service. They are generally adverse to fishing nymphs, but will throw a streamer when the surface bite is off.