PDA

View Full Version : Measure Net vs. Brodin Net

Rossflyguy
09-15-2012, 01:03 PM
I was wondering if any of you own a measure net. I was thinking of purchasing the measure net but I was afraid it wouldn't be very strong compared to a wooden net. Any insight would be appreciated.

joshfish
09-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't have a Brodin but I have a wooden handle net and my brother has a measure net. I haven't seen any issues in terms of the strength of either net. I like the measure net because of how easy it is to get a quick measure of the fish with very little or no handling of it.

joshfish
09-15-2012, 02:19 PM
The net on a measure net is also replaceable. I believe it was on here that some one took and old wooden handle net and replaced the net with a measure net one.

donkeyhunter007
09-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I love my measure net. Keeps The fish from getting bigger every time a tell a story. Measure nets dont lie. I had an old measure net and hooks got caught in the net material and it was a pain. For a few extra bucks they make a rubber net for measure nets and now I am in heaven hooks don"t get stuck and rubber seems better for the fishies.

AbelBoy
09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I saw a guy on the river with a Measure Net bag on a wooden handled net.

Brodin net bags can be replaced even though it takes a little more work. I plan on replacing my Brodin mesh bag with a Ghost Net bag in the future.

AB

Cmcculloch
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I had one of the smaller measure nets that came unhinged while landing a really large trout. A friend caught a photo of my struggle. I called it the fish that was bigger than the net. So exaggeration is still possible with the measure net. It was easily fixed.

Scott V
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
I use the measure net and have not broken it or needed to replace the net. I have held bass in it up to 7 pounds. And tons of trout up to 25 inches.

roywest
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I got a wooden handled net when I started fly fishing again a couple of years ago.

I wanted some notion of the size of the trout I started catching, so I got a tape, a file, and a Sharpie.

I measured out 2-inch increments, starting from the handle edge of the net, working up to the handle.

I filed/sanded a bit at each increment and drew a line and marked the length: 14", 16", 18", 20".

Looked good.

I measured again and discovered I was off by two -- so 16" at 14", 18" at 16", etc.

Hilarious. I was lying to myself with instrumentation before even getting to the water.

Mike O
09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
I bought a measure net replacement net, and put it on the wood handled (el cheapo) net. They come with a zipper, and just zip right on over the frame. They come in multiple sizes, too. Measure your net, buy the appropriate size.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2012, 06:00 AM
We sell lots of both and have not seen any failures.

TyV
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I own both a measure net and a wooden handle net. As others have said, measuring with the measure net without having to actually handle the fish is a big advantage. However, I have found a couple of things that are drawbacks for me. First, the bungy type attachment on the end of the measure net failed pretty early on...so finding a way to attach it became a pain. The other drawback is that I own a medium measure net...and fish the Truckee often...which makes it not really big enough on a regular basis for the pigs on the Big T. Oh, I also mostly wade so carrying a large measure net is not really feasbile. I usually carry my wooden net in the back pouch of my vest. It barely fits and can handle a bit larger fish than the medium measure net.

Last thought, the wooden net has the soft rubber netting...which I think is easier on the slime coat of fish. That's my two cents. Fish ON!

EricO
09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I also found the bungy attachment to be kinda weak.

But, I found a great solution. Buy a magnetic net release (pic attached) similar
to this picture. I put the clamp right at the base of the handle around the frame.
My net doesn't lay at a perfect right angle, but the strength being around the
frame is superb. Haven't had one issue. Just make sure the clamp on the magnetic
net attachment fits around the frame and you'll be golden.

I had forgotten they have rubber nets. I need to replace mine because the number
of hooks that end up in the netting after landing a fish can be frustrating.

Best net I've ever owned by far though.

EO

Mike O
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Or take an old wooden net, but the rubber, zip on replacement measure net. Get the best of all worlds