PDA

View Full Version : Could use some advice for this coming weekend

dubthethorax
09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Hey everyone, first post. My name is Mike, I'm from Eastern PA. I run a fly fishing blog over at www.dubthethorax.com

Out here, I fish mostly small trout streams, but I also hit the salt for stripers, and head up to the great lakes for the steelhead and salmon runs.

I'm in a wedding in Sacramento on Friday, without the wife and kids, and I have the entire day free on Saturday before getting an early sunday flight. I rented a car and I WANNA FISH!

I'm staying at my buddy's house which is right near the Sacramento airport, but on Saturday morning, I'll be leaving from the hotel near the old sugar mill in Clarksburg.

I'm looking to get into some good fishing, preferably for trout/steel/salmon. I'd just like to find some fun action. Dont care if it's dries, nymphs, swinging, or topwater. I called the shop, and a few other shops, and they all said to hit the American for half lb steelhead, but are there any other spots worth checking out? I'll be bringing my single hand 8 foot six weight, and my 11'6 eight weight switch rod. I'm willing to drive up to 1.5 hours if it's worth it. I know the american is pretty urbanized, and I really wouldnt mind hitting something more scenic since my only CA experience was a brief trip to LA in the 90s.

My buddy was saying to maybe hit the streams in the sierra foothills, or maybe in the motherload area, but I have no idea about that, and he's not that knowledgable on fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Not looking for exact spots/pulloffs, etc, but general areas and fly patterns would be awesome.
Thanks!

Jake O
09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
If your going to be in Clarksburg on Sat, how far are you willing to drive?

Mike O
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Just so we are clear...you are leaving from Clarksburg, and returning to the Sac Airport area, and are willing to drive 1.5 hours each way?

I am thinking American River in Sac, Lower Yuba below the hwy 20 bridge, putah Creek (tough fishing), or you could fish the Delta for LMB or ???.

dubthethorax
09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Leaving from Clarksburg Saturday AM after the wedding, and returning saturday night to right near the airport. Total of 1.5-2 hours is cool, unless the American is worth it since it's close by. I heard Sailor bar (?) is supposed to be good for steel right now?

I can catch a ton of bass here in PA. I'd love to get into steel, cutties, salmon, maybe even a golden trout if possible. Thanks again.

Jake O
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
If your looking for good scenery, and you are willing to travel, I would hit up either the Truckee River near Hirschdale or the East Carson below hangmans bridge. If your fishing the truckee stay late and hit up the evening hatches--you can nymph and swing streamers durring the day. Google "Giligans fly fishing truckee river" for some up to date info on where to fish and what types of patterns are working.

If you fish the east carson think hoppers durring the middle of the day and afternoon.

Both rivers provide beautiful scenerey and good fishing. Both are far from Clarksburg but are only 2 hours from the Sac Airport. Since the afternoons/evenings are fishing good on both rivers, it might make since to hit one of them up, given your travel arrangements.

Mike O
09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
+1 to the above, but google map it. It is more than 2 hours away.

That being said, if you are looKing for mountain scenery to go along with your fishing, you are going to have to drive at least 2.5 hours from Clarksburg...

Truckee river, West Fork Carson River, East Fork Carson River, North Fork Yuba River are all good spots.

Stanislaus river, merced river, north fork American, south Fork American, Silver Fork American are all a little closer and have good scenery too...

Center a blank google map a little east of Sacramento, then zoom in. Any of the rivers I listed, within the green part of the map, will have good scenery.

PM me with your specifics of where you want to drive to, and I will give you my best guess (which won't be as good as others)
Mike

dubthethorax
09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies, PMs, and emails. From what I've gathered, I think I'm going to start early in the AM on the American at first light for some half pounders, and then I might head up to fish the Yuba/Feather below Route 20? (does that even sound right?) Not sure how close the Yuba and Feather are from each other but I'm guessing they cant be too far apart if they both dump into the Sac, right?

Jake O
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
From where you would want to fish on the feather and the lower Y they are about 45 minutes or so apart.

Jed Peters
09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies, PMs, and emails. From what I've gathered, I think I'm going to start early in the AM on the American at first light for some half pounders, and then I might head up to fish the Yuba/Feather below Route 20? (does that even sound right?) Not sure how close the Yuba and Feather are from each other but I'm guessing they cant be too far apart if they both dump into the Sac, right?

Don't bother with the Feather.

Hit the american river early in the morning. Go highway 50 to the Watt avenue exit, get off watt where it is clearly marked "river access" and park under the bridge going over the river.

Swing that entire riffle with your switch rod. It's about an hour session.

Next get back in the car and head up to the Yuba below highway 20 bridge. DO NOT fish above the bridge, it's closed.

The road on the south side of the river has some decent access for about 2 miles or so.

Research patterns here for the Yuba....

Mike O
09-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Yuba dumps into the Feather at Marysville. Where you wanna fish is out california Highway 20 East of Marysville, where 20 crosses the river. ONLY FISH DOWNSTREAM FROM THE BRIDGE...upstream is closed.

Take I-5 north past the airport. Merge onto CA 99/70 north. Stay on 70 at the split. When you get to Marysville, follow the signs to CA 20, towards Grass Valley/Nevada City. In about 17 miles you will cross the river. Take the first right across the river, you will go under the hwy, then turn left and go under again. Depending on the clearance of your vehicle, park where you can, either along the road, or down in the riverbed. Take hoppers and standrd droppers for the afternoon.

Rossflyguy
09-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Yuba is pretty tough right now before the egg bite. Don't count out the delta. Its definitely one of the top places in North America to fish for LARGE bass plus there are tons of stripers in the delta. Pretty awesome watching a 5-10 pound bass blow up on a top water fly.

dubthethorax
09-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Currently in Sacramento. I can't believe how hot it is outside! Thanks again for all the input. I think I'm just Gonna make a last minute choice on Sat morning. As for now, jet lag is killing me...bedtime :)

P.s. is it always this dry out here? All the grass seems so dead.

joshfish
09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Yes it's always this dry in the summer. That's why they replaced summer in California with fire. Our seasons now are fall, winter, spring and fire.

Mike O
09-14-2012, 09:16 AM
But the good news is our winter is more like your early spring.

Mike O
09-14-2012, 09:17 AM
How on target is this??? Yesterday's yuba river report

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28297

dubthethorax
09-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Thank you for posting that. I'm so hungover right now with only 3 hours sleep. This just motivated me to get my ass in the car. Heading for Yuba now.

The wine out here is amazing btw

dubthethorax
09-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Started out at the 20 bridge and did a mile downstream with no hits on hoppers eggs or nymphs. Someone suggested sycamore ranch so I went there. Lost a 20 inch bow on a Hopper Juan. Saw a few salmon jump. Too hot now. Oh well. Thanks again for the advice.