PDA

View Full Version : Where is Lani Waller??

donkeyhunter007
09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Lani Waller is a big reason why I steelhead fish with a fly Rod. When I was a teenager I use to rent VHS copies of of his 3-M instructional videos. The scenes were magnificent. He would hook these massive steelhead on the Babine. He seemed to sincerely love the FISH, not just catching them. I heard he is retired. I know he use to come to some Bay area events. I would love to meet this legend of the steelhead world. Does he still come around?? Anyone who wants to learn how to catch steelhead on the swing the videos are now on DVD with some awesome bonus footage. Anyone have any stories about Mr. Waller they could share????Thanks for your time.

koffler
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the memory update. I have his series on steelheading , the 3rd tape is epic w/ those pictures on the Dean, Skeena, etc. I haven't seen his name in publications for some time but hope he is doing well. He's a legend IMO.

Jason
aka koffler

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2012, 05:34 AM
The 3M/Scientific Angler VHS videos came out over 20 years ago and did alot for the sport.

John Fabian shot most of the footage on 16 m/m film first.

It was very expensive to porduce all of them but it was worth it.

I think there were 3 videos on Steelheading with Lani Waller.

1) Fly Fishing for Steelhead

2) Advanced fly Fishing for Steelhead

3) Trophy Fly Fishing for Steelhead

I will contact 3M to see if they can get them on DVD but I know they will feel they are dated now. as far as new products are concerned.

Lani Waller: 415-883-2620

laniwaller@gmail.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Here is Lani's web site.......

http://www.laniwaller.com/

His blog......

http://flywatertravel.com/blog/author/laniwaller/

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
I noticed at the Pleasanton FFing show last year that he was not there. I asked around and was informed that he now lives full-time in Baja. The site that Bill referred should work.

Great guy...I miss seeing and catching-up on life with him. If you've never read Trotter's Pool in Lani's book River of Dreams you are in for a dramatic, literary reading on what really happened in BC when the float-plane went down. :shock:

Frank R. Pisciotta

roywest
09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
My local shop (FishFirst! in Albany) has DVDs of the Lani Waller TV shows in stock, so they are available for you to carry at your shop, too, Bill.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Roy.........

donkeyhunter007
09-19-2012, 11:35 PM
I just picked up the audio book version of Lani Waller's book A Steelheader's Way. Native Fish Society is selling them for $40. and it comes with a Year long membership to the Native Fish Society ($50 value). What a DEAL. If you like the book, the audio version adds another dimension. It is amazing! Its like Lani Waller is in my car telling me stories and teaching me everything he knows about steelhead. Its a great listen on the way to the river.The guys at the native fish society are great call them UP!!

Rick J
09-20-2012, 05:38 AM
We had Lani present at a dinner two years ago for the Wild Steelhead Festival in Healdsburg sponsored by Redwood Empire TU chapter of which I am VP - he was just incredible. Many years ago I got him to come up to Eureka when I lived up there to present to the North Coast Flyfishers (now defunct!)

A great, unasumming individual willing to share his knowledge!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Lani has been very good for the sport of fly fishing with an especially big impact on Steelheading.

When his Scientific Angler / 3M VHS videos on Fly Fishing for Steelhead came out we played them every day in our shop for years.

I am sure those videos have inspired many to go after Steelhead with a fly rod.