PDA

View Full Version : Sage 7126 TCX and Airflo Rage Compact

James C
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Hello. I'm curious if anyone is fishing the Rage Compact on their 7wt 12'6" TCX? If so, which grain weight are you fishing.

Right now, I'm using a 480 Rio AFS, 510 Airflo Compact Scandi, and 540 Airflo Compact Skagit.

thanks,
Jimmy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-11-2012, 06:03 AM
From guide and Spey Pro Jason Hartwick:

Have not tried it on that rod but would think a Rage 510 should rip on it.

Jason

sisyphusmpn
09-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I used the Rage Compact 510 for the first time on my 7134 Burkie while on the Dean two weeks ago. I really, really like this line!! I had been using a 510 Scandi and that's a great line, but the Rage cast like the Scandi but had the versatility to enable me to use larger unweighted flies as well as small wets and dries.

I'm not saying it's the line for intruders necessarily and I wouldn't use T-14 with it, but it is a smooth, powerful and versatile casting tool. I imagine it would be just as cool on a TCX as my Burkie.

Cal
09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I used the Rage Compact 510 for the first time on my 7134 Burkie while on the Dean two weeks ago. I really, really like this line!! I had been using a 510 Scandi and that's a great line, but the Rage cast like the Scandi but had the versatility to enable me to use larger unweighted flies as well as small wets and dries.

I'm not saying it's the line for intruders necessarily and I wouldn't use T-14 with it, but it is a smooth, powerful and versatile casting tool. I imagine it would be just as cool on a TCX as my Burkie.

What kind of leader were you using with the Rage ? I have your rod, so I am interested in your experience. I have been fishing mostly mid-bellys like the Ballistic Vector with this rod, and a 15+' tapered mono-leader.

Regards,
Brian

sisyphusmpn
09-27-2012, 05:05 PM
...due to casting stroke, rivers, flows,etc. Given this was my first time with the Rage line I make no claims as to having it dialed in perfectly. That said, I used a 10' Airflo poly intermediate with my wets (4-6) and a 15' tapered mono leader for dries. After experimenting a bit, I cut the leader back to about 12' and was able to turn flies over a bit more crisply.

I also used a type III poly leader with an unweighted Silvey's extractor and it fished beautifully.

I would like to try a 480gr Rage Compact w/this rod as I think it might be an even better match - just a hunch.

Jed Peters
09-28-2012, 10:46 AM
So I just took this out on a morning fish.

Around here, in the fall, we fish a lot of floating lines for our half pounder run. I was throwing a TCX 5119 with a flight and a floating MOW tip (with 12' tapered leader) previous, and it was just "clunky".

I was in the shop yesterday (Kiene Fly Shop, a board sponsor and the best shop in the WORLD!) and the guys in there convinced me to get a rage instead of the 450 flight and MOW setup I was fishing before.

I was a little skeptical, since I learned (and don't know how to cast any other way) w/ sustained anchor casting. The two guys at Kiene's (Aaron Stiny the manager and Jason Hartwick, a great spey guide--www.steelheadonthespey.com) have fished with me before and know my limitations.

Boy, were they right! Jason hand selected a 435gr Airflo Rage (you should weigh these things, they are all over the map) after sorting various 420 and 450 packaged heads.

The recommendation was to use a standard 12', 10lb rio salmon/steelhead tapered leader instead of a versileader or polyleader.

Boy, did this thing rock. Great setup. I was all sustained anchor, and it would shoot, present softly, and turn over all the flies I tried. The biggest bug I threw was a muddler to skate, and even wet, it handled it well.

I really liked how the line fished as well. It presented well, turned over, and didn't fall in a clump like a skagit with a floating MOW tip.

I also really liked how the line mended and floated on the water. Swung super well.

I can say that I liked it with 3-4' of extra 8lbs Maxima tied on to the end of the tapered leader, creating a total leader system of about 15'.

Like Larimer says in his airflo video, this line likes you to "take it easy" and not be so aggressive. I found that to be the case. Slow down, let that anchor stick, and pull with the bottom hand--the line with that rod really flies.

This winter--I'll post a detailed review on the 7116 with a 450 flight and T-11 MOW tips.

aaron
09-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice report Jed, you'd be surprised how well the Rage will handle t-11 as well.