PDA

View Full Version : Bugging you guys with more dog stuff

Ed Wahl
09-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Since Bill is indulging me so far with this topic I thought I'd post a progress report of Cash's training.
Thanks Bill.

This training has really cut into my fishing time but from my perspective it's gonna be so, so much worth it. I consider myself more of an all around 'outdoorsman' than just a flyfisherman.

Cash has been staunch as can be so far on his points so as soon as my buddy Marks Irish Setter Ulysses displayed that same staunchness(remaing on point for as long as it takes regardless of distractions) we deciced to go ahead and introduce Cash and Ulysses to the 'honoring' scenario. This is where one pointing dog spies another dog on point and points that dog.
Trust me, this actually happens.

A lot.

You can't say that your pointing dog has manners unless he honors another dogs point.

So this was a totally controlled set up. Mark brought Ulysses in and he pointed the bird. I then brought in Cash until he caught sight of Ulysses and this photo from my brothers phone was the result.

One more try for the pic.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/Dog%20Training/honoring.jpg

Looks like an old time hunting painting to me, the uneven pixilation(sp?) even added to the oil paint look.

This was a controlled drill but the foundations have been cast. We also had Ulysses come up and honor Cash's points. It'll be an ongoing thing.
I hope to hit the refuge's this pheasant season with a finished dog, and it looks like I may just do that.

And as an aside, has anyone ever seen a better looking field Irish than Ulysses? That dog's strong as an ox and loves to hunt,points like a rock, and retrieves. And he's less than a year old.

Dogs touch us all fellow flyfishers, some more than others. Cash will be a fishing dog too, just wait for the reports.

Ed

Ed Wahl
09-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Dang, finally got that picture to work.
Ed

jbird
09-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Thats really cool Ed. I love watching dogs interact with eachother. Theres such a different dynamic there than how they interact with us. Congrats on the successful training. Your companion should serve you well when the led flies :-)

koffler
09-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Nice work. Dogs are a lot of effort but a well trained one is worth a mint IMO. I tried to train one and failed but succedded at the same time. We have the ultimate family pet but a crappy bird dog. Would like to pick your brain offlline and will send you an IM w/ a couple questions if you don't mind.

The dog looks fantastic, very well done. Hope you enjoy shooting season coming up.

(Come duck flying time she will be looking for a hand out cause she hanged out by my side - go figure - and when I finally blast one w/ my poor shot she will look at me like a Batman/Robin caption and say........'I'm not going in that cold water!!' Sigh.......)

jv

Ed Wahl
09-08-2012, 11:39 PM
I see photobucket is down again, oh well. Maybe I should just draw a picture.

What'cha got Koffler? Send me a note. I probably can't help but probably can't hurt either.

Ed

Larry S
09-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Ed,
Neat stuff. Hope both of your efforts are rewarded in the upcoming season.
Best,
Larry S