PDA

View Full Version : First hatch report 9-6-12

Hatch
09-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Went to the Delta this morning with hopes of early fall stripers. MAlbers and I put in before sun up and ran to our first stop. We prepped the buckets and started to stretch our lines out, only to be interrupted by fish busting the surface. We found several schools of fish that were eager to eat our flys. They did not want to eat our topwater bugs but as soon as we switched to sub surface the grab was on. The fish were not big but they were eating well and pulling hard on our 8wts. We stayed and played with the schoolies for an hour or so and then went searching for bigger fish. We burned some gas, ate some breakfast, found a fish here and there, found a bunch of wind, went through some long 5 mph areas, and then headed back to a spot that historically, for me, has been great. Last year the area we were headed to stunk big time. We set up to drift down one of the rock walls and got bit immediately. We started getting into them "Big Time". In one hour we landed 40 plus stripers. The Humminbird was full of marks and we took turns catching one after another. 7 Doubles!!
CRAP its 1:38 P.M. and I have to be back in Sac to pic up my kid from school at 3:00. Should I call my wife at work and claim engine problems ? No, I have a Yamaha and she won't believe me. I cleaned up the boat for the run home and MAlbers , of course, kept at it to "pile on" the numbers. 62 stripers (15 keeper or better to 4#) - 3 LMB. No big fish, but that is a great start to a new fall season.
HATCH

malbers
09-06-2012, 05:22 PM
A fabulous day of fishing! Confidence, "knowing your fly will work, if the fish want to eat it!" We were into them so good at one point I started throwing my sardina patterns for Baja to see how they swim and act in the water! Yep, they catch fish too.

Good day Capt. Hatch

aaron
09-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't think I can be seen with you in those bibs Maury...

Hatch
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Dude- I look like a model in that get up:unibrow:
I saw rain and lightning about 5 miles away early this morning and I was looking for ANY reason to pimp my new Simms gear.
HATCH

mar
09-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Shad-like numbers!! Awesome stuff right there. Nice work!

Joe Mateas
09-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Nice work Hatch! I'm hoping to get out tomorrow morning, we'll see what happens.