PDA

View Full Version : Sept/Oct/Nov - fall Steelhead time!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
This is my favorite time of the year to fly fish for Steelhead, swinging flies to eager fish in water that is usually not too hot and not too cold (October).
__________________________________________________ __________________

September is sometimes warmer weather with warmer water too.

We like to fish very early this time of year starting out almost in the dark.

In September we are looking for low light levels of the early morning and late evenings, in the shade of canyon walls and on overcast days or even the shade crated by smoke?

In Septemeber we usually go out early and late with our break mid-day to rest and eat.

Fish can be found this time of year holding in the deep fast runs with the fresh salmon, in shaded canyons or below colder tributaries.

PS: In September I usually fish very early and very late in the low light level with a floating line, tapered leader and unweighter dark fly so the fish, looking up, can see my flies dark sihouette against the light of the sky.

__________________________________________________ __________________

October is usually cooler with shorter days and more overcast and evena little rain.

This is my favorite month because the water is usually perfect then, not too hot and not too cold yet.

Swing flies on a floating line is my favorite way to fish.....this way you usually hook better fish.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

November is usally good too but late in the month the water can get cold enough that sinktips are the norm. Fish are still very active in cool water.

It is not as important to get out as early in November and with some overcast you can fish all day long.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

We are trying to fish in the fall because later the fish get up in those spawning beds and the water gets very cold making swinging flies a less efective.

Dec/Jan/Feb is an exciting time for the big fresh run winter Steelhead on some of the coastal rivers but the weather and water conditions are less predicable so success is not as common with a swung fly.

Mike McCune told me that the winter on the CA/OR/WA coast is the last place they can catch big wild Steelehad so it is not quality, but quality...and for the hearty fly fisher.

Don't forget our local valley rivers like the Lower American, Lower Feather, Lower Sacramento and Lower Yuba Rivers which get smaller runs of Steelhead but they are closer.

Try to plan a trip to one of the good fall rivers like the Trinity, Klamath, Rogue, Deschute or Grande Ronde.

Call us, email us or come by the shop.............this is Steelhead time.

thepeacockspecial
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
i'll be there this weekend :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
That's great.....good luck.

thepeacockspecial
09-10-2012, 08:13 AM
was there friday evening. ended up landing 6 10-15 incher half pounders or (striper bait)

went again saturday morning with nothing, so i stopoed by the shop and picked up a reel and talked to andy and jim for a bit. first time visitor since i had extra time that day.

went back sunday morning hooked one decent one.. didnt see how big just felt it. saw a group of guys upstream catchin salmon though once every 30 mind or so. ended up leaving by 930 for football. anyone else go this weekend?

winxp_man
09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I was on the lower Yuba this past Saturday and not much action at all. A couple of salmon moving through though. I had a few good bites but that was it. I don't think there are any steelhead up the Yuba. Maybe a little later there will be if any go up.

Smitty Fish
09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
4985Went fishing after work last friday. Lower sunrise, hooked this 20 incher. Used tan soft hackle, floating line. hatchery fish. Not a bad way to end the day.:-D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Nice looking fish.......

craigfalk
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
That's a beautiful fish and a great way to end the day!

RomieRome51
09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
was there friday evening. ended up landing 6 10-15 incher half pounders or (striper bait)

went again saturday morning with nothing, so i stopoed by the shop and picked up a reel and talked to andy and jim for a bit. first time visitor since i had extra time that day.

went back sunday morning hooked one decent one.. didnt see how big just felt it. saw a group of guys upstream catchin salmon though once every 30 mind or so. ended up leaving by 930 for football. anyone else go this weekend?

I think I ran into you the peacock special on Sunday. I was middle river practicing my swing. You told me about the guys up river catching the salmon and u suggested I nymph the run above. I was getting ready to leave when I ran into you. I went back Tuesday and did nymph the run u suggested and hooked into a nice 18" steelie...thanks for the advice! I need all I can get being a rookie to steelheading. I'll be out again early morning Sunday at the same spot if ur in the area. Thanks again!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Try to get out a little, early and late in the day, for a few hours now.

Cast across and slightly downstream letting the line swing in all the way down straight below you.

Keep your rod low and don't strip in any line till the line is straight below you.

After every cast is finished be sure to move about 3 to 5 steps dowm stream and cast again.

When I get back from Colorado I will try to get out there some myself.

It is helpful to see someone fishing this style even just for a few minutes.

Be sure to have a steelhead report card and fish barbless........