PDA

View Full Version : Pit River Video

Rockman
09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Just watched the video on the Pit River that Cal Trout put out. I love the Pit but have not fished it since the new flows started. When the upper sac. is at the bottom of the hill and the McCloud is only 35 minuets away, its hard to want to drive farther to punish myself a bit harder. You still need to be prepared when going. Extra dry cloths, cleats or studs and the expectation you eventually will be wet. But do it anyway!

Rockman

Here is the link:
http://caltrout.org/2012/08/the-pit-river-video-whats-it-really-like-at-the-new-flows/

chapmag
09-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I love the honest editing. Views of the stream bank show the absence of a shoreline. Views of wading show people either sliding down the edge of rocks into unseen holes or else taking a swim.

My heart rate went up a little during some of the scenes. It put me into my Pit wading mindset - "Crap, now how am I going to get to either bank without swimming for it?".

The Pit is the perfect wet wading river since you'll get wet anyway. My hat's off to people who fish it early or late in the year. I'd die of hypothermia.

Bob Loblaw
09-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I fished the Pit (3), Hat Creek, the McCloud and the Upper Sac all for the first time this summer and I have to say the Pit was my favorite. It was tough going and the flows put a lot of very good looking water out of range, but the fish there pull harder than any I've ever caught and its as beautiful a canyon as you've ever seen.

I took a few swims but it was a stinkin hot day so it felt good.

k.hanley
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Well done Mikey. I'm proud of your work.

The Pitt always had my respect for power and treasures. I can recall m-a-n-y an unexpected float. But heck, each float actually deposited me onto yet more fish! I get weak knees just thinking about it.
Cheers, Ken

Walker
09-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Fished the Pit for the first time since the new flows. No joke, what a difference the increased flows have made. I have never been so intimidated to navigate and access water before! I found myself in a few of those what the hell am I doing moments. But, once I settled in and put the focus back on the fishing, my efforts were rewarded. The fish are still abundant in size and numbers and landing them is as difficult as ever. Wading was not impossible and I left that evening feeling pretty good about the overall experience. Don't let the increased flows keep you from experiencing an awesome adventure. Imbrace the new and get out there!

Josh

BobVP
09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
For me the Pit was tough anyway so now it is just tougher, not impossible. Thanks for putting that up.